Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

panel layout- radio vs. ignition

10 posts in this topic

Posted

just curious what others have done regarding their panel layout. I'm going to be using a handheld radio (currently have Icom IC-A6) and the best place for me to mount it is on the left side of the panel but this puts it right next to the master switch and I'm concerned about getting unwanted noises from the engine. would I be ok if I ran shielded wire to both the master and radio power supply? and a good ground? I've seen others have them next to each other just not sure if they have issues or not. I believe Joey's is like this?? or should I try and relocate the radio to the right side of the panel which I don't want to do. I will be cutting a hole for the radio and making a box riveted to the back side so the radio will be flush with the panel but still able to be removed easily if needed. input and pics would be great. I'm hoping to finish cutting out the panel this week :)

-Robert-

Posted

I've had my radio mounted on the left side in all my Avids and never noticed noise from the master switch.  I use a Vertex Standard VXA - 220.  I like it mounted where it's easy to change the channel and such.  Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Robert,

Unless you have a magneto engine, and the high-powered strobe lights, you shouldn't have to worry about induced static.  Although you could get an alternator whine in some cases, but a condenser on the alty usually cures that.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks for the input thats what I was hoping for but wanted to know before i cut into my panel. here is how its looking so far. it will have the master switches on the far left side and will be painted yellow to match the rest of the plane. hate to cover up the carbon fiber but we want the gauge color to contrast the panel rather than just disappear into it. I made a tray behind the panel so the handheld sits flush but can still be easily removed for use outside the aircraft.post-352-0-90439000-1399031972_thumb.jpgpost-352-0-38548300-1399032016_thumb.jpgpost-352-0-12059800-1399032058_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Yesterdays chicken scratch at the breakfast table if anyone's interested in the box dimensionspost-352-0-13618900-1399032319_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

the panel is looking great!  keep going and get it in the air!

:BC:

Posted

Looking good on the panel, I just remembered that when I first tried putting my radio and GPS next to each other I got noise on the radio. Don't remember if it was the Magellan GPS or a PDA I had rigged up with  GPS software that caused the problems.  When I moved them about 18" away from each other, the noise went away.  That was with my Vertex Standard VXA-220 radio.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Very nice set up! I just clipped my Icom over the panel and put some velcro on the back of it. My key and ignition switches are right below it and I have no noise issues. I did start getting noise though after putting my Ivo IFA on. If my squelch is low I get static when I bump the pitch. Be sure to spend the money and get the Icom power supply that has the box in the line.

Posted

Joey, thanks for the heads up on the power supply. I'm still looking for one. do you have a link to the one you are talking about?

Posted

Here ya go! You can buy cigarette lighter plugs at walmart or any auto parts store. I have 2 in mine under my panel. One is for my radio and the other I use to charge my cell phone when I'm away from home on trips.

http://www.amazon.com/Icom-CP-20-Cigarette-Lighter-Cable/dp/B003VSCG96