Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid tailwheel towbar wanted

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I want the tow behind the truck towbar for a taildragger if anyone has one they dont want.

Posted

I have one but I think it would be cost prohibitive to ship it... 

Posted

The towbar works wonderful on Tri gear planes. It can stress the fuselage pretty quickly if using it for more than just short infrequent towing.

Posted

I have a grass strip 1.5 miles from the house, I figured I could just use it at a snails pace to and from there.  Leni could you post some pictures and demensions so I could fab one up?

Posted

I am at work and wont be home to take measurements of it till next Wednesday.  If you remind me then I will get some pictures and measurements.  It really is not that hard to fab up or figure out.  The trick is to put the tow bar on, hitch it to the tow vehicle THEN fold the wings.  Otherwise, it is really heavy trying to pick up the hitch end!.

:BC:

Posted

On the yahoo group there are pictures with dimensions, if you are using a truck to tow it, I have seen people just strap the tailwheel in the bed and go.

Posted

I've got a Kitfox one that isn't doing me any good, I'd part with.

It won't fit your Avid, though…   :news:

Posted

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, that would probably be the cheapest place to buy the hitch assembly for it.

EdMO

Posted

The D.I.Y. plans...

post-53-0-99144100-1397254703_thumb.jpg

Posted

I've got a Kitfox one that isn't doing me any good, I'd part with.

It won't fit your Avid, though…   :news:

I modified the tow bar that came with my KF3 to fit my KF4, it was a very easy mod. Probably can be adapted to an Avid too, just move the (4) tangs and match drill to the fuse. Even if you can't weld, you could probably make something work with a bit of angle iron and a handful of bolts.

FWIW, the ass end of my KF4 was much heavier than my KF3 and I was not comfortable using the tow bar to move my KF4. I only needed to move a few miles but I did the shoulder crawl with teeth clenched, fingers crossed and flashers blinking the whole way. Certainly quicker than putting on and lashing your plane to a trailer, but think I'll stick with the trailer. 

Posted

I would bet that the time to hook up the tow bar and fold wings etc is on par with using my winch to pull it on the trailer and fold wings.  plus I dont mind pulling it down the road on the trailer.

:BC:

Posted

Yep, you're right. I tend to go overboard on the straps whenever I trailer stuff though, seen too many heartaches twisted up in a ball off the side of the road. I don't skimp with tie downs and axle bearing grease... a little extra time upfront can save a s#it ton of time and $$$.

1 person likes this

Posted

Those towbars can be real handy.  Do you recognize the tongue of my tilt bed ski transport trailer?  It discinnects with two pins.

post-75-0-39027300-1397371929_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this