Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Paint Ideas

19 posts in this topic

Posted

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but since I'm waiting to pick up the new (to me) Avid, I'm working on a couple ideas for repainting. I honestly don't know what shape the paint is in but John lead me to believe it wasn't great. I also really don't like straight white and really dislike brown. Which is the only color he has on the plane currently. The panel will be treated with a carbon fiber look and maybe spruce up the interior but the exterior is what others see more often!

Here are a couple bad photoshop ideas I had for colors and a design. Wish I had a better program to do a decent job with it, but this at least lets me see something before I paint.

Let me know what you think, and which color combo you like better. I'll probably post up more if I get into another one soon too.

post-745-0-43359300-1390710168_thumb.png

post-745-0-84185300-1390710184_thumb.png

Posted

To me, there's something to be said about the KISS (keep is simple, stupid) method as far as painting goes.  This is what I'm working on for my project Kitfox IV...

post-36-0-80692000-1390712412_thumb.jpg

I'm honestly not a big yellow fan, but I want the visibility.   The grey with red accent is a nod to a Chevy Blazer I had, years ago...

post-36-0-76875900-1390712618_thumb.jpg

Posted

Do what you want!  But you asked, so... :P

Actually I'm kinda taken by the paint job John has on it.  Simple and elegant.  I thought it was beige? 

Personally, I think the zig-zag makes it look shorter, and the length is one of the Pursang's strong points.  I would stay with a pattern that accentuates the length.

Here's a good one too if you run out of ideas... :wtf:

G-ARNG001.jpg

post-697-0-12026800-1390712988_thumb.jpg

Posted

What were those people thinking with the piper!? I agree with not going too crazy, but you have to realize with my background and a lot of free time on my hands I don't see this as being a big project either. I did play with it more and simplified the side of it. When done it should keep it looking longer as well. Obviously I'm just playing with a picture and who knows what the plane will look like in person. That will be more of a deciding factor than anything. If that's a beige I'd be surprised, since the interior and everything else looks brown to me too. Guess I'll see in a couple weeks!

Even IF I do this I won't repaint the entire plane, just the areas with new. I figure it will have to be recovered in a couple years so I'll get more fancy with it then.

On the other side, I'm working on getting back into school for my A&P so I might be able to use the plane to "experiment" on! :)

Posted (edited)

One of the most visible planes I have ever seen from the ground or from the air, was a solid black MU2.  But in this Midwest heat, without air-conditioning, I just cant see painting mine black.   White is cool.  In Alaska, black with red tips and stripes is great, IMO

You sure as heck don't want any natural colors, or camo, unless you are hiding from the law - makes it hard to spot if you ever need help.

Anything that makes you smile is good.  Better yet, is anything that your wife likes - that is worth $$$ to you!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

I  like the white and black ,with out the purple ,we have mooney on our field that color and on of the classiest ones ive seen. note (I honestly don't think classiest is a word)

Posted

You do know, you want to use white as a base coat for most colors, , especially yellow,ask Paul seahaufer

Posted (edited)

I like colors that are not found in nature in the area where you mostly fly - Purple and Yellow work in some areas - and then I think of Aspen leaves in the fall, and those huge fields of something purple and something (cannola?) yellow I saw in Canada.  But who would be so lucky to land in a big purple/yellow field anyway?

At least some dark color trim will stand out in the sky.

After flying for 11 years in Search and Rescue, I can say that no matter what color you go with, that will be the predominate color of the large pieces of trash that the search pilots will see.  I could not believe how many turquoise couches, chairs, washing machines and cars we saw while looking for a plane that color.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Played around with it some more. Yes you are correct about it being too much and I don't want to do this to an airplane that I will likely have to recover in a couple years. So here is what I think will happen next month just to spruce it up a little. I already have the paint as well so it's a not cost solution to making it look better.

If I find some yellow I MIGHT add a trim line around the black stripes just for accent, but that's only if I have time, the weather cooperates and I find the yellow in the paint stock room.

post-745-0-56199600-1390800480_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Although costly, I like the Air Force decals on the top and bottom of a wing - Nothing stands out better than a blue circle with a star in it - maybe a red dot too.

Your paint scheme looks great, IMO.

I would like to have a good paint job too - hope you are available - my old lungs cant take much abuse!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The plane has an interesting profile.  Very unique.  I can't place the cowl shape, kind of like an early Cessna 205 or 210, with their "chin bump".

It's very sad to me that this plane never caught on, or maybe better, that this design was too mismanaged by subsequent leadership to survive.  

Please don't be shy about writing all you can about the plane, it's design and it's character.

Posted

I saw Airdale #1 cowl for the EA-81 engine before it was painted - it was extended for the engine, and the lower portion extended to match the lowered floor of the plane.  Looked good - I may want one.

EDMO

Posted

John told me that he used parts of three different cowlings graphed together to make this one. I could always make a mold of it if there was a need to have cowlings for sale.

The reason I put the black paint on the front/bottom of the cowling is to make it look slimmer and somewhat longer. I think it creates a nice illusion of a thinner nose, which I like.

Posted

I believe we have a source for the Airdale cowls.

EDMO

Posted

Possibly more than just cowls?  Kenneth, make a deal with Trackwelder (Eric) to get some jigs and tooling together!

Mark

Posted

Paint: It can weigh a lot. More colors and fancier = more weight. Single thin solid color with simple striping is good looking and light. Just my opinion.

Cowls: What's this about cowls? I'm very interested in anything going on this subject. I must have missed a post or thread. Please fill me in or point me to the posts!

Thanks!

Posted

Ed are you saying there is already a good source for the cowlings?

Mark, that might be a good idea. I know I read one thread about him wanting to supply some parts, guess I need to contact him.

ChrisB, not sure if I missed something about cowlings too?

Posted

Is this what Ed is referring to re: cowls?

John told me that he used parts of three different cowlings graphed together to make this one. I could always make a mold of it if there was a need to have cowlings for sale.

The reason I put the black paint on the front/bottom of the cowling is to make it look slimmer and somewhat longer. I think it creates a nice illusion of a thinner nose, which I like.

Posted (edited)

Either Performance Products has the mold or Brett has the source for the Airdale cowls - somewhere in the posts earlier, I thought it was mentioned......Just need to verify and get a price.

The Pursang was the prototype - There were 5 Airdale kits made initially, so there has to be a cowl mold somewhere.   Steve W. may know something about this?  John Larson may know?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri