Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Insure your packages folks

14 posts in this topic

Posted

On Dec 27th I used one of those Parcel to Posts joints that ships Fedex, USPS, and DHL packages that's near my house to mail the electric motor for my Ivoprop back to Ivo in Long Beach because it quit working. I didn't insure it, because it was an overnight trip and it was packaged really well. I got to thinking today that I should of heard from Ivo by now so I called them and they never got it. I ran the tracking number it and was never scanned as leaving the facility I dropped it off at. Called Fedex and according to them if it was never scanned as leaving that facility and as far they are concerned, it doesn't even exist as a package. The tracking number is generated when the place I shipped it from printed the label.

I went to the place I shipped it from and they said they didn't have it and had no explanation other than the driver didn't scan it. I would tend to think a mom and pop shop on the edge of a shopping center would have a better chance of losing something than a Fedex truck cruising around with an unaccounted for package. Even if that did happen it would of been scanned again when he dropped them off the local facility. Fedex suggested they call their other carriers for the chance that it got tossed into the wrong pile once they took it off their counter. I suggested that to the parcel to post place and he said that never happens.....argh.

Looks like I am shit out of luck on this one and will be sucking the $490 for a new Ivo motor. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Posted

What paperwork did you receive from them when you dropped off the package?  Does it have any "fine print" pertinent to this situation?

Posted

Larry all I got was a receipt with the tracking number and damned if I can even find that. I admit I could of done a better job myself but I guess I got complacent and when you pay another person to take care of it for you ....well you know how that turned out...chances are I was gonna need a new motor anyways but sure wound of been nice if they could of got me going for less than the price of a new one. It was even cheaper if you already had a front plate and they just swapped it for you.

Posted

I'd sure think there would be something you could do even if only given a receipt for the item shipped with the place. Good luck Joey, hope you get it figured out. That really bites!

Posted (edited)

The usps now includes tracking with all packages - I find them a lot cheaper than shipping UPS.

A long time ago, I shipped a package COD to my ex - somehow the post office delivered it without collecting - after going around in circles with them for 7 months, I found out that there is a 6 month limit on collecting, and a proper method, which none of them told me about until the time was up!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

That Blows! Bummer.

Posted

Joey go back and get the tracking number that they got when they printed out the shipping label,it will be on their computer.UPS and FED EX are insured automatically for 100 bucks and the place you took it should be also.If they printed a label it should be on them.We ship out a lot so if a label was made it will show up on computer.Dont let them off the hook. Good Luck Randy

Posted

I am with Randy on this one.. Dont give up on it.  Ask the owners of the shipping outlet if they have ever seen the movie "Office Space"  :lol:

Posted

I just spent some time on the phone with the fedex claims dept and they won't touch the issue because according to the scans they never touched it. I am going to the shipping company to make an appearance today at lunch. I was talking to one of his low level workers on the phone yesterday. What a PIA! I've been dealing with crap all morning from 3 or 4 different places. After 6 years the county is still trying to collect taxes on my plane even though I am exempt, not a CA resident, and my plane is below the minimum taxable value. I spent 27 minutes on hold with the assessors office.....

Posted (edited)

Polyticksians,  Joey

- Poly = Many

- Ticks = Blood-sucking Parasites

Really sorry that the ones in Washington are trying to screw the military retirements too.

I bet if it was their retirement, they could find it in the $1.1 Trillion  they plan to spend this year!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

Man I hate that but I have done it too.  Why is it that the uninsured packages are the only ones that get lost?

I think Horsepower has the best advice to try to recover this.

Posted

Well I called Ivo on Monday and said go ahead and send me a new set up. They called me today to let me know that my box showed up!! I ran the tracking and it was scanned in from my town on Friday the 17th and made it to Long Beach today. NO idea where my box was from Dec 27th to Jan 17th but I find it ironic that on Thursday I really made a stink at the place I shipped it from and I also called both local post offices since they pick up from that place as well and the box shipped on Friday. Glad Ivo called me and they knocked a chunk off the price because they were able to use my front plate to mount a new motor to. I had the OLD style motor that they don't even make parts for anymore and it was 10+ years old.

Posted

Glad you got this sorted out Joey! Seems like someone didn't want to fess up to losing or not shipping the box. At least it turned out well for you.

Posted

Congrats, Joey.  I'm glad you got it found and sorted out.