Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fuel computer/totalizer questions, are you running one?

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello gang,

I see that a few of you are running fuel totalizers or computers. I'd like to know what you are running, what you like about it, and if possible where you bought them.

I've flown a myriad of planes with them and always love the ability to see what fuel was left, that I'd set the mixture correctly along with all the other information it gave me. Not to mention the ability to set the RPM at a sweet spot for fuel burn.

Looking at possibly adding one to another plane I have as well. Thought it would be a good discussion from you guys running them. I don't want to have to spend $750 or more for a JPI or other certified one if there is a much cheaper and good solution.

From my research it seems that boats run them quite often but it is still in the neighborhood of $400 for the computer and sensor just to get fuel flow.

As always, comments are highly welcome!

Posted

Navman/Navistar used to sell the F210 for about $130. It's been discontinued though. I did find a transducer for one recently though and I bought one just have on the shelf as mine quits working from time to time for a flew flights and then it comes back. With a 582 and Hacman it is a very useful tool. At 9500ft fuel burn drops over a gallon an hour when I lean it out with the Hacman.

Posted (edited)

http://www.floscan.com/html/blue/seriesdetail.php?sid=11

I installed one of these in my Magnum. I got the 10 gallon scale. The gage fits nicely in a 3 inch istrument cutout. I was hoping they made it in a 2 inch but they do not. Turned out to be one of the most useful gages in the plane and I do not mind the larger size after all because I look at it so much! :-) I absolutely love it.

Got mine on clearance from some marine store on line for a super great price. Very good build quality and very reliable even with the vibration of an aircraft environment.

post-258-0-64809100-1389652511_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisB

Posted

ChrisB,

I like that set up, looks simple and clean. I haven't been able to find one that only goes from 1-10 gallons yet. The ones I'm seeing are from 1-16 GPH. I suppose they would work, but with these planes/engines I'd only use 1/2 the gauge.

Thanks for the comments. Looks like more research might be needed.

There is a Faria brand on fleabay right now but who knows what the auction will go up to with 7 days left. It's at $123.50 right now though and has an attached transducer. Best price I've seen.

It's also a smaller hole so it would fit into more "empty" spaces on a small plane.

Posted

on an analog or dial gauge, it will be most accurate in the 25-75% range.  With that said, the 10 GPH gauge would be right at 50-55% gauge range on a 582 and the 16 GPH gauge would be at the 25-30% range so either of those would work well.  I wish they were still selling the navman as I should have bought a few extra for my other boats etc.  They have worked flawless for me and are on my primary gauge sweep.  as long as I have EGT and the fuel burn I know all systems are well and I am not plugging off a filter or running out of gas.  When I fill up I am anal about putting only 5 gallons in each fuel jug so I can accurately set my fuel total on board.  After dozens of fill ups and resets, the three times I have drained my tanks I was within a half gallon of fuel in the tanks that the gauge said I had on board.  I wouldn't be going some of the places I go, without the fuel flow gauge so I could operate safely without having to top the tanks off every time.  Some strips I have gone to it would not be prudent to have more than 5-8 gallons on board during the heat of the summer.

:BC:

Posted

Thanks Leni,

I wish they were still making the Navman too. From what I can gather they were probably the best bang for the buck. Now to find something to take it's place.

Posted (edited)

One thing of interest is that the flow sensor on the Marine unit I got is identical to the flow sensor used in the very expensive aviation units except that the wires coming out of the sensor on mine are not tefzel insulation. However, it is great fuel and oil resistant insulation. Not cheap. It is a quality system if you can find it for a good deal.

As a matter of fact the one I got was for a twin engine application. That might be why they were blowing it out at such a low cost. So I ended up with a spare flow sensor and an extra DPDT switch that would have been used to switch between sensors.

Oh I also chose the 10 gallon scale because I wanted to see variations in cruise fuel consumption with good detail. On takeoff and climbout the needle pegs. I called flowscan prior to buying the unit cheap in the internet and they said it was just fine for the meter to peg out at full flow and would not have any negative reprocussions.

Edited by ChrisB

Posted (edited)

Chris,

I have been searching for one of the floscans too - Seems that they did make a 2" indicator too - not been able to find either.  The 16 gal monitor would be better than none, IMO.

model 200 and 210?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I may have found a possible alternative. www.boatersland.com/floscan500.html

They have the 1-10 GPH analog style. It's not the $130 that C5 paid for his Navman but might be something that would work well for our application. It's at least not the $800 for a JPI so that's a plus.

Posted

I'm running the MGL FL-2 that includes fuel flow, gal remaining (set starting gals if you don't have a gage), flight time remaining, distance to bingo fuel, fuel warning at set min fuel, and a bunch of other flight functions like air speed, vertical speed, altimeter, OAT, TAS, tach, density alt., hobbs,maint timer, and probably a lot of other stuff I am forgetting.  It is more than $130 but is a pretty neat guage and between it and the MGL E-1 for engine monitoring, they cover about all you ever need and more for our planes, IMHO.  They make single guages for just fuel flow or other single functions also if that is what you prefer.  It is worth going on their web site and taking a look.  MGL Avionics.

post-75-0-73334400-1389984826_thumb.jpg

Posted

I'll check into that company. Sounds like a good do all instrument. Thanks!