BFR - SP vs Private?

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Is there any published criteria for the BFR for Sport Pilots?

Is there any difference in the BFR for Sport Pilots and Private ?

What if you have a Private and are flying as SP without a medical?

Anything from FAA / EAA on this?

EDMO

Posted

Its the same for both ratings Ed, you just have to be in the type of aircraft your rated for.You can fly a Sport plane with a private ticket without a medical as long as you hold a valid drivers license as long as you haven't failed a recent faa medical.If you don't think you will pass a physical I would hold off and just fly as a Sport Pilot. Randy

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The reason I was asking, was that each rating has its own rules, and why would an SP be held to the same standards and to know the regs the same as a private pilot who can fly at night, with more passingers,  in heavier and faster planes, in different control zones, etc.

The CFI told my friend that even tho he was flying as a SP, he still had a private certificate and could possibly get a medical later and fly under private pilot rules, therefore he was being treated as a private pilot and not as an SP. 

So, as a private pilot, without a medical, I could take my test in a plane that was not Light Sport, like a Piper Comanche, or a Beech Bonanza, or a Cessna 180?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

It is not the same BFR for LS as for Private. I would have to ask the local LS instructor for the specifics, but I'm sure there are criteria hat you must pass. It will be specific to the level of sp you are certificated to.

As an example there would not be any requirement for hood (IFR) work.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Private pilots operating as sport pilots I believe have same BFR,not sure if you hold a Sport Pilot certificate only.

Posted (edited)

I have never put on the hood for a private BFR.  That is a mandatory checkride for an instrument rated pilot.

I had plenty of instrument time while working on commercial ticket, but not instrument rated.

Sooo - seems like no one knows what the requirements are for either a SP or Private w/o medical BFR?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thanks - I got some good info from that.  Going back later to take the test on AOPA site.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

We had this discussion a while back when my friend who had a single seat and flys with a Sport Pilot ticket needed his BFR. He took it in a 172 with the instructor acting as pilot in command. I was under the impression that he couldn't do it, but later researched it and found it was legal as long as he didn't act as pilot in command. When I did a google search I found this info also on the EAA website. I would go there now and get the link to it, but Orilley is on in two minutes.....Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Thanks Jim - Wouldn't want you to miss Mr. O'Reilly, better yet, Kelly or Hannity or Shep!

According to the AOPA site,  an SP must take the BFR in a LSA, unless he has a private certificate and then he can take it in a plane which is the TYPE (like Single engine Land) he is certified in.

Don't know how he got away with it in a 172, but there seems to be lots of confusion and discretion on the part of the CFI.

I haven't been flying much for a while, and I think I will enjoy the BFR no matter which plane I am in.

My last BFR was done in my Ercoupe - which, BTW, wont qualify a person seeking a private ticket (or SP maybe?) to fly a plane with full controls - if you get your cert in an Ercoupe without pedals, you get an endorsement on your ticket to that effect, and that is the only type you can fly, or at least that is the way it used to be.  I originally got mine in a 150, and flew the 172 and 182T, Cherokee and twin Apache, while working on my commercial.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I looked at most of the AOPA site - but when I wanted to "take the test" as described there - it wouldn't let me without an AOPA account.

EDMO

Posted

if a person is going for sport pilot ,..but gets a standard private pilot student/physical card,..he can take his flight test in a 172/152/etc if he goes to the FSDO or an  IA to acquire his Sport Pilot student ticket ( Sport Student Certificates are free and good for 5 years) he can not take his flight test in a 152/172 etc it has to be a ELSA or with exception LSA,..for the flight test the instructor has the option to remain on the ground with radio contact with student ( a must for single seat LSA) or he can ride along if he chooses in a 2 seat LSA

Posted (edited)

Chase,

The rules from AOPA which quote the FAA, says that you cannot take the BFR in a single seat plane it has to be in a plane with dual controls.  Don't know what TEST you are talking about.  It also says a Sport Pilot must take the BFR in a LSA, but evidently some CFIs get around that because you cannot be PIC without a medical, no matter what ticket you have, unless you have a current BFR.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Chase is referring to the original flight test, issuing of the LS certificate to the student pilot.

I saw his happen with a friend. The FAA examiner refused to fly with him in the Quicksilver two-seat plane, but chose to do the test via radio from the ground.

Posted (edited)

I think that has been done in a one-seater for the Private test - Just don't work for BFR.  Although, I have heard of a CFI who was too large to fit in the back seat of a J3, but the guy taking the BFR was current and could be PIC, and he did all the maneuvers and made 3 landings while the CFI watched from the ground.  The pilot had thousands of hours in taildraggers, and the plane was legal with dual controls.

Sometimes a little common sense is good - too bad the govmt don't have much of it!  :lol:

Thanks,

ED

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The main reason I want those taking a BFR as Sport Pilots to take the same BFR  I take is that I share the dad gum SKY with them.  Either they know the rules or they don't.  Working the controls around is fine as far as it goes but the biggest problem I have with other pilots is around the pattern.  Non standard approaches for instance.  There are many other for instances.

Do you know the rules for special VFR into a non-towered airport? That seems far fetched I know but think about it.  You're not suppose to be there granted but you are there now.  It's one of those red ones with the keyhole around it and you've been out having a blast all day and you get home only to find you have low fuel, low vis and a broken layer.  What are you gonna do? Park it?  No.  Learn the rules and act like you know what you are doing. 

It's worth reviewing at BFR time.

just sayin'

Dan 

1 person likes this