Dean Wilson got it right

15 posts in this topic

Posted

I recently helped a friend transport his newly finished Kolb to the airport.

While I envied the 912S engine I did not envy how difficult and time consuming the Kolb is to get ready to transport and go thru the wing folding process.

Makes me appreciate Dean Wilsons design since I fold my Kitfox wings every time I fly and it only takes 3 minutes.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah, my buddy has a Rans s six and he thought the wings were going to fold up on it like the Avids wings do, but they're nowhere near as simple as the Avid!

Posted

I am a big fan of DW - But, did he get it right, or just close?

I don't know about any of the Avid models, but there are Kitfox models that let you swing the wings without disconnecting the controls - Looks like someone improved on the DW design.  Anyone have info on which models of either brand folds easier, and how did they do that?

EDMO

Posted

You didn't have to disconnect the controls on an avid A through mk IV ... :BC:

Posted (edited)

Thanks Leni,

I didn't know that.  I was certainly not trying to diminish what Dean had designed.  It is always easier to improve a design than to make the original.  I thought that maybe some of Denny's team had done that - Guess they must have missed the good DW design on some of the Kitfox models?  Why do the videos always show the controls being disconnected to fold the wings?  Check out the Green Kitfox U-tube video: "Folding Kitfox Wings, by Crazed Pilot".  Happy Birthday to him today!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Dean got it right and his design has been improved on.  It takes about 5 seconds to disconnect the controls.  Fewer parts that introduce slop into the aileron controls.

Posted

Guess someone eliminated the swivel in the connecting rods?  On what models?

I will have to disconnect mine because I have changed the design to separate flap and aileron control rods - and I'm not as smart as DW - by a long shot!

EDMO

Posted

Kitfox IV changed the design. The 1-3 was an exact copy of the Avid. IV through SS is the same.

The Avid 5/+/Airdale were different using teleflex cables. I don't know if that needs to be disconnected.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the info - it is my understanding that the cables are supported at the end of the housing, and would have to be disconnected before folding wings.

No problem either way - I just didn't understand why my KF1&2 wings would fold without disconnecting, and the video Crazed Pilot put on u-tube shows him disconnecting controls to fold wings - looks like a later model Kitfox on there.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I would guess that he possibly upgraded to the IV system or just didn't know he could fold without disconnecting them

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Looking at the video, I would guess that he has a Kitfox 4 or 5 - I didn't pay that much attention to which model.

I just started this to try to find out if there were differences between Avid and Kitfox and what models.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Crazed pilot has a model 5.

The design of the Model 4-7 flaperon linkage which requires disconnecting the push rods to fold the wings solved 2 problems that  many of us with older Avid's and Fox's are trying to solve.

It gave differential flaperon movement for less adverse yaw (which we are trying to resolve with the F7a bell cranks) and opened up the area behind the seat for a true baggage area.

Posted

Thanks Herman,

I believe I now have a better understanding of the controls on both the Avid and Kitfox models.

Good Flying,

EDMO

Posted

My Avid Mk IV both with and without F7a mixer mod folded without disconnecting push/pull tubes, as did my KF3. My KF4 push/pull tubes and and Avid+ teleflex cables both require disconnecting. As simple as it it to connect and disconnect them, I found it rather annoying after the Mk IV even though I only fold/unfold one side because I have a 1/2 hanger. PITA if you drop a nut or pin!

Posted

I will be changing my header tank, so is too big for the push rods remain connected, besides, I would like to have a little compartment right behind the seats, where I can put my head sets or small stuff all the time and leave it alone anytime I have to fold/unfold the wings.

Soon I will make a cheap hangar for my plane, so I won´t have to unfold the wings anytime I go flying, I know is very easy, but in my case, I have a lading field at home and taking it out of the garage, as easy as it look, it takes me 45min to get all the things in front of the plane, out of the garage unfold the wings, re-fuel, daily inspection, etc. etc. etc.

best regards

Dimi3