Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

F7A revisited

21 posts in this topic

Posted

I have tried and tried to get a response from Brett McKinney without success. Does anyone have or can someone come up with and post an actual template of the F7A so we can build them ourselves and not lose access? I fear Airdale is short lived with no one interested in supporting the Avid any more.

Stephen

Posted

I have some measurements I will post when I get home later today or you can look back to some posted photos and compare with measurements of the F7.

Posted

I talked to the guy that does my tig welding and he is willing to make some F7A's up.  They will be $85 plus shipping.  I am looking at about a month to get the parts in, jigs made and ready to ship.  Anyone out there interested?  Would like to be able to do a run of 5 or so if there is some interest but will do a one off if necessary.  He will be able to make standard brake pedals, control sticks and etc.  I do suggest Mikesk brake pedals rather than the standard ones and we won't be making those.  Motor mounts and other control parts are also possible .

Posted

Hey Paul:

I´m interested in a set of bellcranks F7-A.... also in a motor mount,  I have Avid Flyer model B with a Rotax 532 let me know how to proceed,

I live in Sweden but I have a Fedex Account so won´t be any problem with shipping; 

you can contact me at dimi4@hotmail.com 

Regards

Dimitri

1 person likes this

Posted

I would buy a set of the F7A's, the price is fair so just let me know when.

Sam N7566L

Posted

is that price including the 2 new arms and the 2 new linkage rods :dunno:  Just making sure that all 4 components are thought of not just the 2 new "bell cranks"

:BC:

Posted

Give me a few days so see what the price will need to be. I have agreed to that price to Dimitri and will honor that one. And yes it will include all four parts. We rigged up today and got started on the build and completed half a set. I should be able to post a photo by tomorrow evening. I plan to sell these as low priced as possible, not really looking to make a business out of this just hoping others will take an interest in making other parts so we can support these planes through a community effort.

1 person likes this

Posted

Here is a picture of the F7A the first set is almost complete. The linkage rods are design with replacable stud instead of welding Grade 8 cap screws to the end of the tube which results is unknown strength. My fabricators wanted to be sure that these units are safe and high quality. This will run the price up some but I think that you will agree that it will be worth the extra few bucks. I will post the price when my fab guys let me know what they have to have to build these.

post-267-0-75178200-1385347062_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Man! looking good, looking forwards to see how my plane fly with those!!!!

Regards

Dimi3

Posted

Paul S,

Do you know if these will work with a Kitfox Mod 1 thru 3?

Dave

Posted

Sorry Dave, I do not, maybe someone one the list will know.

Posted

I will try to get over to Bob's house and take a look at his mod I and III and see if it will fit in there.  I dont think it will due to the way the mixer is constructed on the KF, but it just may work.  I will try and check it out in the next few days.

Posted

Hey Paul;

I sent you a mail, revert to me as soon as you read it

Thanks!

dimi3

Posted

akflyer,

Have you had a chance to see if F7a will fit early Kitfox?

Thanks

Dave

Posted

I am going to make 6 sets of the F7-A upgrades this Saturday I have one set sold and will have 5 sets left, will be 50.00 per pair shipped in the U.S.  no1son38@aol.com   731 589 1330    Randy in Tn

Posted

akflyer,

Have you had a chance to see if F7a will fit early Kitfox?

Thanks

Dave

No sir, I am apparently an ass and I forgot all about this when I got home and got swamped.  :nutkick:   I get one of these for failing to check it out.

Posted

I will also be interested in the F7a bell cranks if they fit a Model 2 Fox

Posted

I am *pretty* sure that I physically checked this once and determined that they were not interchangeable. Makes sense in that the mixers are similar but different, not a direct copy.

Posted

Can someone give me an idea of the flight characteristic difference experienced after the install of the F7A compared to before?

Posted

The original design basically gave you twice as much DOWN flaperon as it does UP flapperon... inducing a good bit of adverse yaw.  The new arms give you more up than down and do away with most of the adverse yaw, however, there is still some.  I flew the KF II for 300 hrs before putting them on my avid and I really cant say that it was a life changing mod.  You still have to use your feet and I always lead with rudder going into and out of turns.  The Avids and KF line are still largely rudder dependent planes.  I could fly all day and land without flaperons, but your damn sure not gonna do it without rudder.

I forgot how much more rudder dependent the avids were till I started flying the 180 this fall and I got a wake up on my foot work.. Cessnas make ya lazy :lol:

Posted (edited)

yes Cessnas make you lazy in turns - unless you have a commercial flight instructor giving you the worst ass-chewing you ever got for taking your feet off of the pedals for a while in gusty winds on a cross country flight!  I KNOW!  :lol:

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri