Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flying Expenses... The proper way to explain it to the wife

19 posts in this topic

Posted

For a number of years I was afraid to calculate my exact flying expense. A few years ago I finally decided to get right down to the facts and came up with the following information. This may not relate directly to your expenses but I believe it is worthwhile considering my approach.

First I calculated my fixed expense; what I pay if I never fly a minute each year. First the hanger expense; I figure this is less than I would pay for an apartment for a girlfriend on the side and I am far less likely to get shot by my wife so I figure in the long run I am saving money considering a divorce and medical expenses. Next I looked at insurance. When I considered that I pay car insurance, medical expense, Social security expense, deductibles, life insurance and countless extended warranty policies/insurance it became clear tome that what I pay for airplane related insurance is such a small percentage that it is hardly worth considering. I help with my own annuals and all maintenance so that is worth something; perhaps a few thousand dollars saved each year. As I see it all of my fixed expense ends up being an actual savings of perhaps $5,000 per year (I don’t work cheap you know).

When it comes to variable expense I first look at fuel. AV gas is around $5.50per gallon while auto gas is only $3.00. With this in mind, I feel comfortable in saying that it is only $2.50 more to buy AV gas. Therefore, It seems to me that if I burn 12 gallons per hour then fuel to fly only cost me $30 per hour and if I can split that expense with a passenger that goes down to only $15dollars per hour out of pocket. Oil is another factor to consider. I figure that I lose a couple of quarts of oil over the side every hour due to leeks and I burn about one quart per hour. With this in mind it is easy enough to figure that if I burn one quart and don’t burn the two quarts that leek out then I actually come out ahead one quart per hour so oil shouldn’t be considered an expense.

Now comes the good part. If I have a savings of $5,000 per year on fixed expense and it only cost $15.00 per hour to fly, I can fly 200 hours per year for $3000 of my savings and realize an actual savings, in pocket, of $2,000 per year which I can put into savings.

If I didn’t have an airplane I would not be able to save the $5,000 each year so I would have no savings. As it is, I get to fly and I am able to put back the $2,000 for tougher times which we will surly need a time goes by.Therefore, I cannot afford to not have an airplane. Having an airplane and not flying it is not good for the engine so the 200 hours flying time is some thingI must do to protect our $2,000 annual savings.

:BC:

My guess would be that a member of congress wrote this... :BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Double those savings with second aircraft, or vehicle of your choice. :shitfan:

1 person likes this

Posted

Lol i just told the wife i want a new plane , she thought about it , then said ok , it wilk be your birthday present this year,... And the next and the next and the next etc etc etc

1 person likes this

Posted

Just remind her of the increase in value each year, and these planes started out at less than $10K - If I had just kept that 57 Chevy, 65 Mustang, etc...

EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Your wife sounds like mine... When I started looking she was not saying no.  when it comes to toys, boats, planes, snowmachines etc, she is all about it.. well, she may try to make me sell one of my boats before I get another one.. but she will loose that battle :lol:

1 person likes this

Posted

I just keep telling mine that there are no bars or strip clubs at the airport!

EDMO

2 people like this

Posted

I said to her, "Don't ever ask me to choose between flying and [anything else].  You won't like the answer."

She never asked again.

2 people like this

Posted

I got married late in life at age 45,..Chris was 36 ,...before we got married I told her I fly,..I fish,,I hunt,..if there is a problem with this ,,we need to put it on the table now,,she said no problem,.. so when I bought a new crossbow,..and she said why did you get a new crossbow? my reply ..I need it to bow hunt,..the old one was worn out,..and I didn't want to spend the money on an old model to bring it up to todays spec's,...she didn't say anything to that,..fishing season comes,..I buy a new fishing pole,..she asks "why did you get a new fishing pole? I replied,,because the old one was worn out and rather then pay to bring it up to todays spec's ..I bought a new one,...one day she comes home ...says she is beat,..nees a vacation..I asked her  " feeling worn out baby? ...long silence ,,and she walks up stairs after giving me a look like "Why? you going to replace me with a new one?" lol

1 person likes this

Posted

:lmao: Trust me, it's much cheaper to just work with the one 40 then to try n trade her in on 2 20's :lol:

1 person likes this

Posted

to be honest..she is a great girl..but,,if it ever does not work out,..she will not be replaced unless she has a wheel sticking out of her ass and a set of wings on her shoulders :)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

:lmao: Trust me, it's much cheaper to just work with the one 40 then to try n trade her in on 2 20's :lol:

I heard about a man who threatened to swap his 40 for Two 20's -

His wife quickly told him that he was NOT WIRED FOR 220!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

LOL I know your right Ed ..my 43 year old wears me out lol can't imagine 2 20 year olds ..but then   ahh never mind lol the good ole days :) ah heck I'll tell ya,..back when I was in my youth  :) my dad caught me in his camper with 3 girls,,.it's like 1 am,,the camper is rockin..all of a sudden there is a rap on the windshield..it was a Cobra Camper,so you could look all the way tnhru to the back..my dad has a flash light and is shining it on the girls lol he says "Chase~! is that you?? when you get done! Don't do it again~!! what are the neighbors going to think?!!!  lol the next day..HE told all the neighbors ha ha ..thinking he was a proud dad that day,..so my point..at least I have some good memories~! lol

1 person likes this

Posted

the wife

post-684-0-69757500-1382487557_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

220 221 whatever it takes

2 people like this

Posted

220 221 whatever it takes

Hahahaha!! That's awesome!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

lol but hooking 220 leads one on yer big toe and one on yer ear isn't going to help lol

chances are when the current meets in the middle your voice will forever change lol

Edited by SkyPirate

Posted (edited)

Totally spiraling off topic...

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

lol back when Keaton was more of a comic :)

Posted

I dont mind spirals.... its kinda the norm around here :lol: