Requirements for plane in uncontrolled airspace

16 posts in this topic

Posted

I am close to being done with my Plane, and was wondering what is required as far as lights on a daytime only VFR that will only fly in uncontrolled airspace. I don't plan on more than my handheld radio, and I would just as soon not spend the money on strobes and transponder, would it be legal for uncontrolled airspace or do I need to add the lights (already own a set) strobe don't have transponder expensive.  I am just trying to get this legal to fly while I finish building my Wittman Buttercup, so I want to use it to practice tailwheel landings and build more hours.

Posted

Around Iowa, Missouri, and the lower 48, you do not need any lights or xponder for flight in uncontrolled airspace - even a radio is not mandatory.

In Alaska, you need lights any time to be legal - most pilots use their landing lights in the daytime or have them in wig-wag mode - its the "Alaska regulations" that are different than ours.

Don't know a thing about Hawaii, but you probably wont fly to that island.

Canada is another story.

EDMO

Posted

I fly in Iowa my field is EGQ or Emmetsburg, IA, I will still be looking for a DAR especially with this government shutdown.

Posted

Experimental Amateur Built day time VFR no lights of any kind required for any airspace. 

Posted

How about the ELT is the old style still legal, I have an Ameriking 150 I haven't pulled out of the box yet, I would rather not get a new one, unless I lose a wing I can  put down on almost any gravel road  I can't get more than a mile away from one and normally I am within a half mile.

Posted

It's fine for now but eventually the 406 MHZ will become mandatory. A transponder is only required if you are more than 50 miles from your airport i.e. cross country.

Posted

Thank you, I will rarely travel outside of the 50 mile area, but there is always a chance, I guess I could wait to install it until I fly off my hours. were you the one that put in the piper style pedal linkage in your plane,any chance of a picture? 

Posted

It's fine for now but eventually the 406 MHZ will become mandatory. A transponder is only required if you are more than 50 miles from your airport i.e. cross country.

Joey - When did this rule start? I never planned on an xponder for uncontrolled flight in lower 48 - What if you don't have electric? OMG - More $$$$

EDMO

Posted

The Ameriking cost me about $150 and it allows me to broadcast, I figure with all of these government shutdowns I am better of trusting other pilots to find me than Uncle Sam. The Big cost on most of them is the batteries the Ameriking uses D cells every year I can put them in a flashlight and put new batteries in the ELT, I am afraid the ELT is going to be needed even without an electrical system, I think the only exception might be a single seat aircraft. Another thing to worry about if you get ramp checked.

Posted

Ed he is talking ELT not xponder, no xponder required except for class B and C and even in C you can get permission to enter if you request it.

Posted

I had one of those, and they are still legal - they just don't locate as close or as often as the new ones - I bought a new one, either ACK or Ameri for $600, and the 5 year battery does not exchange with the D cells - darn.

I just thought, I have another bump cowl set for a Kitfox 2, that I was selling with my clone kit, but if the 3 piece set does not do the job for you, then I could sell the complete set (yellow and white) for $400 plus - but can promise it wont fit into the Ercoupe.

EDMO

Posted

Ed he is talking ELT not xponder, no xponder required except for class B and C and even in C you can get permission to enter if you request it.

He said xponder for over 50 miles from home airport - never heard of that - ELT, yes, for anything more than single-seat.

EDMO

Posted

Yes, I understood that he was talking transponder, really there has been no reason I have wanted to fly into a bigger airport, I can get fuel at a small airport, and unless I start doing a lot of cross country I can fly outside the airspace around here. The small airports have courtesy cars usually the towns old police car and I can get closer to where I want to go, I have flown into Tea South Dakota to make a trip to the VA hospital and it is easier to stop in borrow their car and drive to the hospital, it beats the hassle of driving to Souix Falls or even getting around at their Big airport. A transponder is on my list but not really for this plane, the Buttercup I am building will travel at twice the speed on about the same fuel, the Avid is for touch and Goes and landing in back pastures.

Posted

I think we need to review ALL the airspace requirements.  There ain't very much "uncontrolled" airspace most places.  Class E mostly but that's kinda patchy.  Class A above 60,000 feet.  Interesting about Alaska airspace.  I wonder what all those T-carts and Luscombes do up home there.  Nothin' I expect.  This is a confusing thread.  If you don't have a generator you don't need a transponder but you can't under any circumstances go into class B.  Class C by permission only.  Class D you don't even need a radio.  I think I'd like a set of wingtip strobes just to alert the less than alert.  I'll have a transponder because class C airspace is unavoidable with my mission.

Dan

Posted

I am just trying to get it in the air, I will probably add the rest of the stuff later, around here I have to deliberately head somewhere to even get close to class C airspace, I am surrounded by Class E nobody at the airports, and very few planes in the air, I have worked the past 7 days at my airport and the only plane I saw was just stopping in for fuel. On the drive home I saw 2 crop dusters, but nothing at my field. I wasn't sure what the cropdusters were doing since harvest has already started.

I know not everyone has the freedom that I have, so putting th information about what is required up about each airspace would not hurt.

Posted

Thanks Paul!! I screwed that one up!! Yes I meant ELT NOT Transponder I've been all over the Western US with no transponder. Never had a case yet where I needed one. If I'm near Class C airspace and going around I just give the controller a courtesy call with my altitude and intentions so they at least know I am there. I plan on purchasing a 406 ELT soon because of the areas that I routinely fly in. It could very well save your life. They are down around the $500 range now.