Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I need a new EMS... GRT2000EIS... MGL Velocity E1 or... ???

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I am about to replace my old Westach Quad gauge with a new Engine Information/Management System.

What helpful suggestions, comments and support can you offer in my time of need? :dunno:

Not the only options I'm sure, but here are some of the options I have already researched:

1.) I have an existing 912ul software compatible GRT Model 2000 EIS in my current bag of tricks that I could install BUT, a) I don't really want to cut my panel up and would have to infringe into my planned transponder space unless I added an fugly plate to cover the old gauge hole; b) I have no probes or senders which will require at a minimum (2) new CHT probes (CHT-10-01) for ~$14/ea., (2) new EGT probes (EGT-HCS-01) for ~$36/ea., oil temp sender (FT-1827-02) ~$18; the new VDO oil pressure sender I bot at OSH (390-905) ~$50 and a new (6') pin connector wire harness ~$35. If I wanted to go all out, I could add the OAT probe ~$25. Total cost for this option $193+S&H plus the hassle of cutting the panel to fit a square box to a round hole.

2.) Buy a new MGL Velocity E1 Universal Engine Monitor. This instrument would fit the existing cutout and I believe the EGT band clamp probes used with the Quad gauge are J-Style thermocouples which  appear to be compatible. According to the user manual this EMS has a Special Rotax 912/914 engine monitor mode which would allow utilizing the existing built-in Rotax NTC-style (screw-in) CHT probes vs. new under plug ring probes (I prefer the Rotax location), existing oil temp probe and the VDO oil pressure sender. I have a call into MGL to confirm, if true cost of instrument only $315+S&H, plus ease and convenience of reusing existing cutout, senders and probes.

(Update: MGL manual is a bit difficult to interpret for non-electric guys IMHO, suffice to say that for desired gauge functions all my senders and probes except the current Rotax CHT will work. Need (2) CHT912 probes, M10x1.5 thread to replace the existing NTC probes ~$35/ea. so $385+S&H total cost, plus easy probe swap.)

3.) Send the gauge back to Westberg for modification to new-style sender and re-calibration for $400.

4.) Try to source a NOS (impossible) or used (next to impossible) Westberg oil pressure sender for $ :huh:

5.) Put a mechanical electric* automotive oil pressure gauge in, tape the Quad gauge function and be done with it.

6) Your Suggestion(s) Here

thnx for playing!

[edit] *Leni

Edited by dholly

Posted

I bought the E3 which is a smaller 2 1/4" unit which I like but I do wish that I had bought the E1.  The E3 is hard for me to read due not only to size but lighting also.

Posted

My vote is for the E-1.  It's been ultra reliable for me.

BTW, EGT's are almost certainly K-type thermocouples.

If you need a little hand holding on the electrical stuff, hit me up.  My install went smoothly.

Posted

Thanks Gents for your input and offers. Size definitely matters to these eyes too! How do you find the contrast in normal and sunny conditions? Seems like a lot of info could make for a pretty busy display, can an old school analog fan still acquire critical info at a glance? Do you find yourself defaulting to the numerical rather than the graphical displays? I think i can adapt but like the big red alert lamp. I really like the big color xTreme display but too pricey for me!

Posted (edited)

I can read mine better in the sun.  The red lamp is nice.  I glance at the graphic but for sure the numerical is what I rely upon.  I do not use the Rotax mode and ordered the different senders for the CHT so the unit would display more readings.  I also installed a water temperature gauge (analog) which is not necessary with the Evans waterless coolant that I am running and may remove it someday.

I have mine setup to read 2 EGT's, 2 ,CHTs, OT and OP with the Voltage and the RPM.

Edited by Paul S

Posted

I can read my display in all conditions.  I don't really look at the graphics either.  The only knock I have is that the display alternates between my two EGT's.  It's hard to keep track of which one might be giving a high or low reading between the mag and pto.  I've got them placarded, but it doesn't register in my mind without focusing on them.  I agree that the red alarm LED does get my attention.

Posted

I have the E-1 in mine and I really like it.  No problem reading it in any lighting condition.  I hooked up the water temp sender instead of the oil temp sender on mine; just seemed to make a little more sense on a water cooled engine.