Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Looking for 7/8 struts & castoring nose wheel

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Im looking for a set of 7/8 lift struts and the 7/8 jury struts.

I'm also interested in the RV style castoring nose wheel if anyone has one for sale. I checked with airdale and he no longer makes the nose gear.

Travis

Posted

Don't know if you want both struts or just one, but John Larson posted on the Avid yahoo group that he had two 7/8" struts. He did say one was made special about 1/2" shorter or longer (don't remember which right now) because the builder had messed up the attachment location on the wing spar. Don't know which it was though (right or left) I have a nose wheel from an Avid, it's the later Kitfox style as far as I know. Have the Grove main gear as well. Not sure what to ask for them though. Jim Chuk

post-329-0-54594000-1376628754_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-83239700-1376628780_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Thanks Jim, Im talking to John about his struts. If that nose wheel was mounted to an Avid I'm interested in it.

I was told that the kitfox nosewheel mount was different and a kitfox nose gear wouldn't work on the Avid.

Travis

I'm looking for both struts and the jurys for 7/8. I've got a pair of 3/4" jury struts and a pair of wing struts that I changed from 3/4 to 7/8 but I'm not sure I trust the way I welded them up.

Edited by birddog486

Posted

Jim, I would be interested in the grove gear.do you have any specs on it (height, width) thanks

Posted

Birddog, the nose gear attaches to two tabs that were welded onto the seat truss, and the suspension top mount was welded to the cluster of tubes that are about 18" ahead of the seat truss. Mike, I'll have to measure it and get back to you. Jim

Posted

I'm not sure I understand how that nose gear was attached. I'd really like to find that style nose gear that will slip into the original nose gear weldment that I have. I know Airdale was making them for awhile but there not doing that anymore. 

Do you have any pics how that was installed?

Posted

alright thanks jim

Posted (edited)

I'll show what I have for pics. Never did see the tricycle gear mounted on this plane as when I bought it, it was back to being a taildragger. Don't look to close at the welding, It doesn't look that good. I think the design is sound however. I did remove those parts from the airplane. Jim

PS should have mentioned, the pics are taken from under the plane looking up. The tab I'm holding is one of the two that the nosegear attaches to. They were welded to the seat truss.

post-329-0-13795000-1376702216_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-63827900-1376702270_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-88657100-1376702319_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted

Thanks for the pics Jim. That setup looks like I'd need to do alot of mods to my fuse to make it work. I just finished painting my bird so I really want to avoid any major mods now if I can help it.

Posted

The Grove landing gear is no longer available.  I do still have the nose gear though.  Jim Chuk

Posted

You might have a look at McMaster-Carr for the bushing for the Avid nose gear. Jim