Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

O field trash

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Sign my Avid off to Phase II this week.  I spend the work days in the oil field delivering pipe so guess where I spent three hours flying today, yep flying over the patch.   Well it hard not to with a big part of Wyoming producing oil and more to come.

Here is a picture of the two planes I've built so far, thinkin about what to build next.

post-267-0-15436600-1374359245_thumb.jpg

Posted

Sweet! Congrats Mr.!   Now your ready to range out and hit some cool places!   Does the Q2 get more flight time with the normal winds around there?

:BC:

Posted

I haven't been flying the Q-2 much since I started building the Avid but it does handle 45 kt winds that we get here in the winter.  It is also nice for traveling any kind of distance in a hurry with the 150 kt cruise.

Posted

Nice looking pair!  and should make a nice combination.  I heard the Q2 had issues in the rain; disrupting the airflow over the wing.  Is tthat the case and did it get resolved?

Posted

Yes the GU canard did not like the rain but the problem is solved with VG's.  I flew mine without them for the first couple of years and you could feel the moisture even before you would see with about 10 lbs of extra pull on the stick.  I never had to try and land it in the rain but you would need to be hot at around 100mph to keep the canard flying.  Not much rain to worry about in WY so I got away without the VG's for that long.

Posted

Not to many planes that make an Avid look big when sitting next to it! Nice combo! I've always said I wish I had an RV-4 for when I want to get someplace in a hurry..