Snap Vents

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I pulled out my 2" snap vents for install today and the directions said to make a 2" hole in the lexan. Looks like it takes a 2.25 hole to me or am I missing something?

Posted

Can't help you there. But here's a handy tip if you ever have to make a large hole in Polycarbonate slightly larger. Find a drinking glass or the right diameter with a little taper. Wrap it with sand paper and enlarge the hole by twirling the glass, sanding away until the new vent fits. This makes it perfectly round, something I could never do with a drum sander or dremel tool.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I installed some of these years ago - go with the instructions - these are called "snap-vents" because they snap into the hole you just made - if too tight, lube a little bit with liquid soap - don't use any petroleum products - Doug just gave a great tip that I wish I had known back then.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

I made a pattern when I did mine that would butt up against the door frame on two sides so I could get them both in the same place. Can't remember the size of the hole though. Just DON'T Make them too big or your vents will just spin and won't stay closed when you want them to. If they are too tight shave little bits out with a dremel or something. I only flew with my 2" once twice before I tossed them and installed 3" ones. They were much better. Lots of airflow. With them open my IAS drops 4mph from the static change.

1 person likes this

Posted

Installed the snap vents today.  Ended up using a 2 1/8" hole saw and they are really tight but work fine.

Also installed a rudder tab to center the ball.  Used some left over lexan and got lucky on the first bend centering the ball at cruise.

Another hour, don't know what I am going to do with the rest of the 33 hours I have to fly off :dunno:

post-267-0-32888400-1370993799_thumb.jpg

post-267-0-70220100-1370993823_thumb.jpg

Posted

I ordered a couple snap vents a while back and the 2" hole instructions looked too small so I tried it in a scrap piece of Lexan.  I tried hard enough to fit one in that hole that it was about to become a broke snap vent.  I finally gave up and sent them back and exchanged them for Vista vents.