Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Video camera

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I am thinking about buying a small video camera that I can use in the plane.  Seems like some (most) turn the prop into hockey sticks gone wild but others do better.  Joey, seems like you posted some vids that looked good in this respect (and in general also).  Any suggestions?

Posted

I use a Drift HD. It'll film in 720P at three different frame per second settings and full 1080P but that's a little overkill for most people and the files get huge in a hurry. I like the Drift over the Gopro because it has a viewing window on the side so you can see what it's filming. It also has a small IR remote that's about the size of a key FOB. When it's out on my strut I leave it in standby which it'll stay in all day on a charge until I'm ready to film then just hit record and a little LED changes color on the side and away you go. The lastest go pro will do this stuff too but you need an I phone and it costs about 3 times as much as the Drift does. I try to not use my phone at all when I'm out flying because it would sure suck to be hanging upside down in a tree somewhere within cell coverage and not be able to make a call for help because you killed your phone synching it to your camera.

The biggest challenge is the editing and doing something with it. Those last two videos I made I had 3-4 hrs work into easily for a 5 minute video with music. If you start filming in High Def you need some computing power to mess with it.

Posted

The GoPro can work as well.  I've got the Hero2 HD model which will shoot in 720p at 60 FPS to reduce the issues of prop effect with the rolling shutter.  You can also purchase an aftermarket neutral density filter for it which also deals with the prop effects.  I like it's ability to shoot in wide angle mode.  I think it's about 100 degree field of view.

I have the WiFi back and key fob like remote to run the camera while it's on the strut.  It doesn't seem to last all day in standby though.  It's generally good for sporadic shooting over about 3 hours or so.  You can use an iPhone to see the video stream from the camera, but it's delayed several seconds.  That delay makes the iPhone option a little impractical.

I think the GoPro is a good option so you really wouldn't go wrong with it or the Drift.

Posted

Thanks guys, I will take a look at those and get one coming.

Posted

I personally use the Nflight cam.  Plugs into the audio jacks so I can hear all the radio and cabin conversations during the flight, 180 degree wide angle lens and 1080P with adjustable frame rates up to 60fps.  Lots of options and adjustability.

Looks like Nflightcam has now switched to the GoPro, I have the Contor +.  Actually I have 2 and I usually do an outside shot and an inside shot.  Makes for some cool autorotations in helicopters

1 person likes this