Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Size matters.

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello All,

Found this site while trying to do some research on the Avids and Kitfoxes. I plan on being an owner of one before the year is out.  IF the budget buy pops up :)  A Pre Thanks for the wealth of information because I am browsing and learning by the minute. 

I do have a quick question that I'm sure has been answered but I have not found yet.

Which AC will I need so that TWO 6'1" 190lb dudes fit in??  I understand it will be tight but need for this fit to work until I can get certified and proficient.  Then it will be mainly myself ,small wife and young daughters buzzing around in.

From Florence South Carolina so if anyone fairly close has anything I could possibly sit in and try on would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!!

Posted

I think an Avid may be a little tight for your needs, I'd suggest a Kitfox IV or later for their larger cabin volume...

Posted (edited)

I would suggest the Avid Magnum - Wider than the other Avids and Kitfoxes - There may be some other options, but I don't know everything - Please don't tell that to my wife or kids. :lol:

I am also guessing that you are not Sport Pilot limited, because you want to fly a plane that seats more than two people eventually.

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

I would suggest the Avid Magnum - Wider than the other Avids and Kitfoxes - There may be some other options, but I don't know everything - Please don't tell that to my wife or kids. :lol:

I am also guessing that you are not Sport Pilot limited, because you want to fly a plane that seats more than two people eventually.

Ed in MO

Correct, not limited to sport pilot.  Wanting something fun, economical, easly stored so I can build some time in.  Was hoping to hear Avid and Kitfoxes II or larger would work due to budget.  Hard being "broke" with big dreams.

Thanks for the input.

Edited by 843SG

Posted

Correct, not limited to sport pilot.  Wanting something fun, economical, easly stored so I can build some time in.  Was hoping to hear Avid and Kitfoxes II or larger would work due to budget.  Hard being "broke" with big dreams.

Thanks for the input.

You can fit two guys in a Kitfox 2. You need to be good friends and I wouldn't do it for than an hour at time though. I've flown over 6 foot guys in my plane lots of times. It's tight not gonna lie. Performance and weight wise you'll be just fine it's the space that becomes an issue.

Posted

Myself 5'10" and 190lbs

My instructor 6'3" and 235lbs

We both fit, doesn't mean we will get off the ground safely in my Kitfox IV.

I'm hangared in Mountain City, TN.  It's a bit of a drive, 4 hours or so I think but if your ever up this way feel free to hit me up and I can show you what the KF IV feels like

Posted

I fly myself.. 5'10 1/2" @ 200-210 and another buddy about the sime size, maybe a bit bigger, quite a bit in mine.  Yes its tight, but if you can get in a 152, you can get in the Avid or KF.  I find that you need to not have any homophobia as the most comfortable position is with your buddies left arm over your shoulders as he kicks back and enjoys the ride.  Yes, it is tight, but it is not any tighter than when I was flying with a big guy in the 152.

I have flown a 250+ pounder in the plane with me and it was pretty cramped, but doable. 

If you can find a Rans S7 (older one) it may fit you better with the tandem seating, but then you have the super cub act getting in and out of the damn thing!

:BC:

Posted

I guess it was a good thing I lost that 210 lbs I had been carrying with me, I would have never gotten my Avid off the ground

Posted

Hi all,

I was curious if there were any more thoughts about fitting big bros in an Avid.  I'm in much the same situation, budget and height are at odds with each other.  I'm 6'3" and was urged to consider a fat avid.  A late model Kitfox is just out of the question right now.  843SG, did you get any numbers on fat avids or the "Airdale"?  I'm trying to contact Airdale directly, haven't heard back yet.

I'm pretty new to this forum, hats off to the guys who got this thing going it's pretty sweet!

Mark

Posted

Welcome aboard Mark! We have a few fat avid builders and flyers on here. Suberavid has a beautiful one that performs pretty awesome!

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Mark, 

I will be the frst to tell you that I love my Avid+ (fat Avid).  I would definately encourage you to build one if you can find one; but that could be a bit of a problem.  There does not appear to be too many of them floating around as projects or complete airplanes and I don't know if Brett at Airdale is building the airframes.

I flew my Avid MKIV for many years while I was building my Avid+ and it is pretty tight with two larger guys, especially in the winter with heavy clothes on.  Doable, but tight; and no way to get full side to side travel on the stick, and very little area for baggage.  I strapped all sorts of stuff to my wing struts and had to fly solo and pack gear in the passenger seat. 

With the Avid+ it is truely comfortable with two people being 6 to 7 inches wider and 18" longer.  Seating is comfortable with space between the pilot and pasenger and no restriction on movement of the stick, plus more leg room and the whole area behind the seat available for baggage.  I carry a pretty complete set of survival gear including tent, sleeping bag, pad, stove, first aid kit, tool kit, etc., all the time; and then easily just throw in other packs, waders, fishing poles, tackle box, rifles, and camping gear behind the seat no problem.  The difference in cargo area is very substantial.  I have not looked at the cargo area and seating area of the KF 5-7 models to see how it compares to them but I think it has at least as much volume or more with the way I extended my baggage area. 

The other advantage is it handles the heavier motors like the Subaru without adding lead to the tail of the plane.  Oh, and it still flies fun like an Avid, but flies hands off and tracks a little easier; once you trim it out, it will easily fly for miles and miles without touching the stick.

Everyone is a little prejudiced toward their own plane I know but if you can get an Avid+ to buy or build I don't think you would be disapointed.

post-75-0-59408000-1381729144_thumb.jpg

Edited by SuberAvid

Posted

Rmendler you have about 20 lbs on me and my instructor his 582 got airborne in nothing flat and I had to drop the nose on climbout to see what was in front of me, I wouldn't worry about getting airborne, Landing speed was registering somewhere around 30mph but on grass we stopped in nothing flat.

Posted

I see there is a Fat Avid project for sale on Barnstormers under the Avid section is someone is interested.

Posted

I'll have to check it out... Did you get my PM?

Posted

Mark,

I have flown with Randy, everything he is describing about his airplane is true. I had the pleasure of flying with Randy up the Knick glacier this past summer. His airplane is awesome. Smooth running, nice flying and great on the gravel bars. The extra room sure is nice. My Bandit works great for what I need, hour flights on nice evenings. Great to solo in, but I still can carry a passenger if I would like. If you are flying cross country or back country, Randy's is the way to go.

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I was curious if there were any more thoughts about fitting big bros in an Avid.  I'm in much the same situation, budget and height are at odds with each other.  I'm 6'3" and was urged to consider a fat avid.  A late model Kitfox is just out of the question right now.  843SG, did you get any numbers on fat avids or the "Airdale"?  I'm trying to contact Airdale directly, haven't heard back yet.

I'm pretty new to this forum, hats off to the guys who got this thing going it's pretty sweet!

Mark

Mark,

Skypirate just told me that he has a fat-avid fuselage for sale.

You can always extend the skylight and move the bars up a notch, like a couple have done on here. I actually moved my wings up 6 inches, but that was radical.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

You guys are KILLIN' me! :drool3:   I didn't mean to hijack 843SG's thread, but your input is greatly appreciated and many others may benefit from it.

Randy and I will hopefully get a chance to meet up right here in Oregon in the next few weeks to chat Fat Avid and putz around WAAAM.  Maybe our Pusher will be flying by then.

Skypirate's fuselage... I found his post, looks cool, need more info!  Is a fat avid defined mostly by the fuselage, and everything else is more or less interchangeable?  DHolly mentioned several times that gross is still determined by the wings, but if equipped with HH wings a fat avid could do some serious lifting -- I forget how much.

Mark

Posted

I think I already told you this on another forum, but the Just Aircraft uses 2 1/2 x .063 tubes for spars and has an insert that brings them up to a claimed wait of over 1500lbs, everybody stops at 1320 anymore because of Light Sport regulations, the wings landing gear and tailfeathers are interchangeable, but I would use the newest version I could come up with. I priced out the spar inserts from Just Aircraft a few yeas ago and they would sell them separately at that time for $79 expect them to have gone up a little. If you hunt for the sandbag test that avid did they tested to maximum of over 6 G's if I remember right without the spar inserts and the wing returned to normal, that gives you extra safety margin for weight unless you are flying acro, the size of the plane is actually roomier than I think you were led to believe, I think if you can fit in a C150 you should be able to fit in an Avid or Kitfox, Cessna was good at taking a good design and making it weigh more and haul less