Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Getting ready to put the bird in storage

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Trying to decide the best way to store my bird for 6 months while I'm off in the sandbox. Obviously the ethanol is coming out. I'm thinking a gallon or two of Avgas in each tank is better than leaving them dry. Should I pickle the motor too? Never done it... not even sure how but I'm thinking 6 mos in a dry climate it'll prob be fine. Looking for suggestions if you guys have them. Poor ol girl  :fishing:

Posted

Go to your local marina and get some outboard fogging spray.

Run a little 100LL, 50:1 with dino-oil through the motor to purge out the alcohol contaminated crap, follow fogging instructions on the can of spray.

Plastic bag the carbs and plug the exhaust.

Good to go. Be safe.

Posted

If you fog the engine and use the extension tube on the spray nozzel, hold on to it.  I didn't like being that close to the spinning prop so fogged mine with the engine not running.  That little red tube shot right into the carb and down into the crankcase.  I could see it but when I touched it with the end of my needle nose pliers it fell down underneath the crankshaft.  Had to remove the cylinder to get it out.

Posted

another good argument for the clutch and a C box!  run the engine with the prop not turning.. priceless! 

:BC: