Floating the avid part two

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Well after finding out what it was going to cost me to get the full lotus floats fixed (the ones that have has a bad twist sewn into them from the factory) I got pissed and went looking for an alternative. Today I pulled the trigger on a nice straight set of edo 1320s. It's going to be almost 2 months till I get to try them on the avid but I have my fingers crossed that they will work great. They are going to be about 35 pound lighter than the 1450 full lotus and they perform great on tcrates and j3s so I have my fingers crossed on them for the avid.

:BC:

Posted

How heavy are the EDOs? I have that set of Avid fiberglass floats and wonder how they match up for weight. I don't think I'll ever fly floats myself but they were part of a deal I couldn't pass up. Jim

Posted

They are 138# with the rigging. I'm probly going to add a couple pounds to them putting hatches in them so I will have float lockers.

Posted

I have a set of 1260 fl amphibs ill be rigging this summer and would like to see pitcures and maybe some measurments of your rigging

Posted

good luck.... I had 1260s before and they kind of suck.  They took a set of 1220s and put longer tails on them for rear engine airplanes.  This makes it damn near impossible to rotate without dragging the heels unless you put alot more AOA on the wing in relation to the floats, but then you have to fly with a half stick of up elevator to keep them from dragging you out of the sky.  That is why I went to 1450s... Unfortunately, I think the patterns for the 1450s must be off because the few sets of them I have seen have a bad twist sewn into them.  I will dig up the pictures of mine to show how bad the twist is.. I drug my feet a little too long on getting them sent back and now the new owners will not warranty the repairs ( I really cant blame them I guess).  If my Edo's work out the way I think they will, I will have my skystar rigging for sale and they were bolted to the 1260s so it would pretty much be a plug and play for you.

If you want to make your own, I can get you the measurements in a few weeks when I get back home and you can buy the structural streamlined tubing from Carlson Aircraft pretty cheap.