It's still winter

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I flew north the weekend before last to see if I could catch up with my daughter and son in law ice fishing but didn't find them (the ice was too thick for the auger without the extension and they forgot the extension).  Anyway, what to do :dunno: .  Time to go exploring of course.  I flew past Ruth Glacier to Eldridge Glacier the turned east through Chuitna pass and up the Big Su past Devils Canyon.  Crossed the flats to Fog Lakes; unfortunately the fuel flow meter and visual says I have 10 gallons left at that point :( so turn south to Stephan Lake for a brief break.  Continued south to the Talkeetna River, down the Talkeetna to Larson Lake, then headed for home.  A perfect flight when you land with just barely visible fuel in the tanks and the prop is still turning!  Didn't see any bears poking out yet then but they should start any time.

post-75-0-20306300-1366996906_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-13448800-1366997113_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-76362000-1366997221_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-85072700-1366997338_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-67116300-1366997480_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-53812200-1366997646_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-67224100-1366997718_thumb.jpg

Posted

Nice pics as usual Randy!  I am jealous that I im stuck up north for 5 weeks while you are getting all this nice weather to play in :lol:

Looks like I will probly be on wheels this summer unless I get a good deal on a set of EDO 1320's that I am going to go look at Tuesday.  If I am stuck on wheels I look forwards to playing on the gravel bars with you this summer and getting in some good flying and fishing!

:BC:

Posted

Don't want to nix a good deal on floats but it would be great to get some summer flying together.  Need to do some overnight trips out fishing and exploring.  Hope to get Jack and Jeff flying and tuned up this summer too.

Are your Full Lotus floats not repairable?

Posted

I can send them back to get repaired, but I am not real impressed with the comunications I have had with them, and I am not real impressed that the waranty work the previous owner agreed to wilol not be happening and now I have to pay to get the twisted floats fixed.  I saw another pair of 1450's for sale a few days ago and they were twisted just as bad as mine are.  The company seems to have seriously lacked in quality control.  I am not too crazy about dropping more money just to get back a set of floats that will probably still have a nasty twist sewn into them. 

I would deffinitely be up for some weekend camping, fishing, exploring trips!  I can still get to the lodge on wheels, we would just have to land at Bentalit Lodge and have Dan come pick us up in the boat so I am not in a huge rush to get new floats, only if the deal is right (read that as really cheap)  :lol:

My other option I have been kicking around is to get a set of tip sponsons and go with a mono float.  That may be intersting and I could just use the one good float I have for that...

:BC:

Posted

Randy, Just notice in your nice pictures that your windsheild steps up above the wings. I suppose that is to get more headroom. Any closeup pics of that area, and any comments on it? Thanks, Jim

Posted

Jim,

Sorry for losing this one.  Been flying so much lately I haven't had a chance to do much on the Forum. 

I raised my skylite by 1" in the front and 2.5" in the rear and I am very glad I did.  I tested it while I was building as soon as I had the seats done and could sit in it with the headset on, then put a 2X across the top and raised it until I had the clearance I needed to sit comfortably without touching.  It was easy to do, just split the butt ribs down the middle of the web and glued in the 1/8" plywood spacers in the web, then fiberglassed each side.  I had to raise the front and rear aluminum standoff support on top of the cross tubes and then bend up the aluminum trim metal to finish the top edges and between the butt ribs and the top of the wings.  Very much worth the effort for flying comfort to me though.

Posted

Thanks for the reply Randy. My windshield has the two bumps in it for extra headroom.I finally took my skis off last Friday, and flew off my strip on wheels on Sunday. Some standing water, and mud on the strip, but I didn't hurt the prop, so all is well there. Left on a trip to SC on Monday, dropped my Jabiru engine off in Shelbyville Tn on the way through. Was just sitting outside in the sun with bare feet and thinking it's kind of hot already. Well enjoy your winter while you still have it, I know it's my favorite time to fly! Jim

Posted

Hey Jim,

When you go back to get your engine, give me a shout(615)294-0214. I'm 30 miles west of Shelbyville. Would enjoy meeting you! Bryce

Posted

Hi Bryce,  I'll give you a call before I head back.  Thanks,  Jim