Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

KFIV-1200 vs MKIV HH

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I have the kfiv. Hopefully she will be flying again in a month or so. Its been a fun rebuild, but now its time to fly...

So my buddy really likes my kf and would like one as well. He has been looking for a kfIV, but now he has spotted a few mkiv heavy haulers for sale and they seem to demand much less $ than the kitfox.

What is the comparison?

Our flying consists of burning local holes only. No real need for speed, but he does want it to fell like an airplane and not an ultralight. And the 1050-1200 gw helps with our passenger loads etc....

Thanks

Posted

I have some time in a KF I II and III but not a IV.  I have some time in a Avid MK IV.  Beware that several of the "MK IV" I have seen lately are NOT MK IV's.. There is a discussion on this forum right now about an Avid "B" that the guy is marketing as a MK IV.  Make sure you check serial numbers etc to assure you are really looking at a MK IV.

The MK IV flys great, the major difference between an Avid and a KF is the length of the wing and the airfoil used.  The KF has the SLIGHT STOL advantage here but there is no place that I know of that I would take a KF into that I would not take my Avid into.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

I have no experience with either of these machines - But reading comments posted here from a Kitfox Model 4 owner,(with the new rib design), I believe that they conclude that the earlier models, 1, 2, & 3, are better suited for "pothole flying" since the 4 tends to float more. I think the 3 has a GW of 1050? Usually cheaper than the 4.

I think The Avid IV still has the undercambered wing ribs, so it may suit your flying more than the Kitfox 4, The Avid flyers can tell you more about wing options than I can, and also the Avid GW, if you need to know that.

I have the undercambered wings, and am trying to modify them for a little more speed, since my flying here in the flatlands is more crosscountry cruising.

Ed in Mo

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Some other differences between them is the Kitfox 4 is 9" longer between the rear wing spar and the horizontal stabilizer than the Avid MK IV so it's not as short-coupled. 2" higher headroom as well. Also, the Kitfox 4 has less adverse yaw due to the fact that the mixer for the flaperons causes the one flaperon to move about twice as much as the other. Avid did make a modified part that helps,(F7-A bellcrank) but it doesn't do as much as the Kitfox 4 does. Also, the Kitfox wing is supposed to be a good bit faster than the Avid wing. Take care, Jim Chuk

Posted

The control mixer and wing handle far better in a Kitfox IV than an Avid IV. Sorry, but that's the truth. The IV-1200 is even better.

The kf gives up nothing on the slow end but adds an easy 15-20 mph on the top end, too.

This is first hand observation, not theory.