Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Still Flying on skis

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I was unsure how to title this topic, I almost went with Global warming? or something like that. At any rate, I went flying with skis on yesterday from my strip. Actually had to pack the latest snowfall down with the snowmobile first though. Went back over my log book and couldn't find any year in the last 7 that I was still on skis in April. Looking at the forcast, I might still be on skis at the first of May. Mn at it's best! A friend of mine said his dad was ice fishing a couple of days ago, and the ice was still about 4' thick. Oh well, here are a few pics I took yesterday as proof. Enjoy! Jim

Just looked at how the post looked, and see that the pictures show up as 4-7-2013flying. That's just the folder I stuck them in, I really did take them yesterday. Oh by the way, yesterday morning at 4 AM, we had +1 F oficial temp. at the Hibbing airport.

post-329-0-32472800-1366568639_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-11863500-1366568657_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-75184700-1366568670_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-17751300-1366568684_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted

The snow at our aiport is all but gone.  No way to taxi from the ramp to the ski strip.  It is 45 in soldotna right now!  Looks like your going to have to come to Alaska to warm up :lol:  You landscape looks just like ours for about a 30 mile radius, then we get into mountains. 

Nice clean looking bird

:BC:

Posted

I've been in the shop all day taking me ski's off putting wheels and brakes on.

It's down to 29 here in Soldotna and snowing like a biotch and @ 1 " and not melting

Damit

Posted

Drop down to Mizry and warm up - 70 here tomorrow - better put your floats on tho - Looks like high water coming!

ED in MO

Posted

Nice clean looking bird

Yes it is. I don't know how Jim ends up getting the jump on all the bargains, but I'm glad he's not competition in my area 'cause there'd probably be nothin' left to buy! :P

1 person likes this

Posted

Look often and call quick! If you aren't first and it's a super good deal, you probably aren't going to get it. Jim

PS our latest big snow storm is going just south of us right now. Sounds like the Duluth area and northern Wi are going to get another foot of snow!

Posted

Damn, I just talked to the wife, its 48 and raining.  Looks like I am gonna have to move SOUTH to find good snow :lol:

Ohwell, I am ready for summer!  TIme to bust out the floats and the boats!

Posted

Leni, I was just looking at the map, wasn't sure exactly sure where Soldotna really was. How would the weather be in Fairbanks now. I'm sure being close to the ocean warms your area quite a bit. Jim

Posted

Fairbanks suxs in the summer and winter!  IMO  :lol:  Soldotna is about 55 air miles South of Anchorage (150 if you drive)  I could still fly ski's off the local lakes right now, but I am sure that will all be gone when I get home in 3 more weeks.

In general, Fairbanks is the hottest area in the state in the summer, and the coldest area in the winter.  Yes, there are many times when it is -20 here on the edge of the world at Kuparuk and it is -55 400 miles south in Fairbanks..

Being real close to the water does keep the Kenai Peninsula alot more mild on the temps for the most part in the winter, but it still gets cold enough to make the salt water freeze into huge ice pans in Cook Inlet.  Nothing like being out on one of the platforms when the ice is in the inlet and the 12 knot tidal current starts slamming those ice bergs into the legs of the platform.  I have litterally been thrown out of bed in the middle of the night it gets to rocking so violently.

OK, back to your flying thread :lol:

Posted

Sorry if I'm going on to much about our winter, but today the TV weather for Duluth Mn said they are currently in 4th place for snow years. Record is 135" and they were at 130" They said Duluth got 50" of snow so far in April. All of last winter they got 35" I'm about 60 miles NNW of Duluth. Supposed to be 60 this weekend, so maybe the tide has turned. Jim

Posted (edited)

I think Fairbanks is a little more extreme than Leni said - It can get over 100F there in the summer, with thunderstorms - and believe it or not, Morell mushrooms grow there on the south side of the mountains - and -55 is nothing for winter - I have seen -80 there! Really COLD!!! My wife has relatives living there.

Glad I lived in Anchorage - much milder there. Lowest I saw was -32 for only a few days - usually around zero to +20 and up to about 75 in summer, and only saw lightning twice one day in 10 years - usually 12 feet of snow a year, compared to 30 or 40 feet across the pond in Valdez or the town near there - forgot the name of it.

I think some of the ice fields get like 200 feet of snow a year - I think I heard that?

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I think Fairbanks is a little more extreme than Leni said - It can get over 100F there in the summer, with thunderstorms - and believe it or not, Morell mushrooms grow there on the south side of the mountains - and -55 is nothing for winter - I have seen -80 there! Really COLD!!! My wife has relatives living there.

Glad I lived in Anchorage - much milder there. Lowest I saw was -32 for only a few days - usually around zero to +20 and up to about 75 in summer, and only saw lightning twice one day in 10 years - usually 12 feet of snow a year, compared to 30 or 40 feet across the pond in Valdez or the town near there - forgot the name of it.

I think some of the ice fields get like 200 feet of snow a year - I think I heard that?

ED in MO

The coldest I rode in Fairbanks was -65 getting the sleds tuned and ready for the start of the 2004 Irondog.  I can assure you that running the river at 100+ MPH at -65 SUCKS!   I will taket eh milder temps of the Peninsula ANY DAY! 

I think your thinking of Cordova!  Not sure on the 200' but I do know some of the areas around there are still ridable with snowmachines into July!

Posted (edited)

The coldest I rode in Fairbanks was -65 getting the sleds tuned and ready for the start of the 2004 Irondog.  I can assure you that running the river at 100+ MPH at -65 SUCKS!   I will taket eh milder temps of the Peninsula ANY DAY! 

I think your thinking of Cordova!  Not sure on the 200' but I do know some of the areas around there are still ridable with snowmachines into July!

I TOTALLY AGREE LENI.......A little cold is good - Too much cold really sux! Yes, Cordoba got the 30 to 40 feet of snow one year I remember. Fairbanks is worse than Barrow, and Anchorage feels like Miami in comparison with "The Deepfreeze of Alaska"!

ED in MO supposed to be 80 here by Monday - "How high's the water, Momma"!!!!!

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I was unsure how to title this topic, I almost went with Global warming? or something like that. At any rate, I went flying with skis on yesterday from my strip. Actually had to pack the latest snowfall down with the snowmobile first though. Went back over my log book and couldn't find any year in the last 7 that I was still on skis in April. Looking at the forcast, I might still be on skis at the first of May. Mn at it's best! A friend of mine said his dad was ice fishing a couple of days ago, and the ice was still about 4' thick. Oh well, here are a few pics I took yesterday as proof. Enjoy! Jim

Just looked at how the post looked, and see that the pictures show up as 4-7-2013flying. That's just the folder I stuck them in, I really did take them yesterday. Oh by the way, yesterday morning at 4 AM, we had +1 F oficial temp. at the Hibbing airport.

Nice Jim! 

Don't know how it will be next weekend but the weekend before last I was still able to take off on the snow in the center 'grass' at Wolf Lake.  Ice fished last weekend at Byers Lake about 80 miles north; the auger with the 18" extension on went to the handles before it went through the ice.  This is a bad picture but it gives you an idea of how deep that is.

post-75-0-65282100-1366870782_thumb.jpg

Posted

70 degrees by this weekend...

Flooding next. Not good.

Posted

Its spose to hit 50 Thurday and rain so I am sure we will be getting some rising rivers and the side roads will be flooding from the snow melt.  Good thing the plane is on the trailer and high and dry while I am gone :lol:

Posted

We hit about 70 today.  I should have taken the plane out yesterday while the strip was still useable.  The snow is getting real mushy now.  Will have to put the wheels back on before the next flight I think.  Hopefully it will stay warm and dry so my field will dry out soon.  Jim