Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Which model fits me?

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I am looking for N Avid. I am 6' and 240 lbs. At 66 not as limber as i once was. Which model is big enough for me knowing I will usually fly alone? I talked to a man with a model A today and he saidI would not fit. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Posted (edited)

I am looking for N Avid. I am 6' and 240 lbs. At 66 not as limber as i once was. Which model is big enough for me knowing I will usually fly alone? I talked to a man with a model A today and he saidI would not fit. Can anyone help?

Thanks

At my age (nearly 72) it is hard to get into and out of about any plane - Avid and Foxes seem the worse - The old joints are getting stiff.

I told the wife I was getting stiff in the joints, and she said I had better stay out of those joints - she also muttered something about another joint not getting as stiff. I think she exagerates! :lol:

I am FAA "certified pilot weight" of 170 in the summer, and "verticaly challenged" at 5'8", with lots of old back, neck and shoulder injuries - paying for my sins, I guess!

I had a friend about your size, or a little heavier, who flew a Kitfox 1 with the stick in the center. like a single seater.

The Magnum is wider and might fit you better.

Headroom should not be an issue in any model Avid or Fox.

We have some pilots about your size flying other models - Dont know of any flying the A model tho.

I'm sure you will hear from some other Avid and Fox drivers on here. Hope you find what fits.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I think that you would be able to fit comfortably in a model IV Kitfox.

I am about 5'-10" and near the same weight as you. My IV has no problem with the weight and I actually made a thicker seat back cushion to reach the peddles.

Try on one and see.

Posted

IMHO, anything less than a Mk-IV would tight for 2-up at your height and weight.

Avid A: cabin width = fuggitaboutit (or convert to single seat), 764lb gross

Avid B: ? cabin width, 911lb - 950lb. gross

Avid C: 39.5" cabin width, 911lb. (S.T.O.L.) - 1085lb. (Heavy Hauler) gross

Avid D: (Mk-IV) - 39.5" cabin width, 1150lb-1200lb gross

Avid+: 44" cabin width*, 1250lb gross

Magnum: 44" cabin width, various up to 1750lb gross

*Avid+ fuselage is 18" longer than Avid Mk-IV (16" longer aft of seat), 4" wider across rear cabin, 10" wider across panel at knees. Windshield is re-raked and firewall to seat back is 2"+ longer than Mk-IV (more legroom)

Posted

One way to get more head room in these planes is with the bubble top windshield. Avid used to sell them, maybe they still do. There are places that will form plexiglass for you with different sized bubbles. They are for skylights. Avid used 2 bubbles in one sheet of plexiglass, but I would think one bubble would would work just as well. I used to have a site saved in my favorites that custom made them. Not real expencive either. Well under $100 as I remember for a size that would fit on the plane. Roughly 24" X 37" with a 2" or 3" high bubble. A friend of mine is about 6"1 and when he built his Model A Avid, he made it a single seat and it works fine for him. He did put a little dome on the windshield above his head, but I think it's because his seat sits a bit higher than it could have. He has a 55 HP Hirth on it. I'ts 36" wide accross at your shoulders, the B,c, and MK IV models are all 39.5" Here's a pic of my Avid MK IV with the bubbles on the top. If you're flying alone, I think any of these plane will work, especially with the added headroom. Best to find one that you can sit in and see. If your legs are real long verses your body, that could be a problem with your knees maybe to close to the instrument panel. Take care, Jim Chuk

post-329-13639611712606_thumb.jpg

Posted

Thanks

I think you would be most comfortable in the kitfox V-VII models unless you can find an Avid Plus. The Magnum is usually not flown as a sport plane due to its gross weight although there is at least one Magnum LSA that I am aware of.

ChrisB

Posted

IMHO, anything less than a Mk-IV would tight for 2-up at your height and weight.

Avid A: cabin width = fuggitaboutit (or convert to single seat), 764lb gross

Avid B: ? cabin width, 911lb - 950lb. gross

Avid C: 39.5" cabin width, 911lb. (S.T.O.L.) - 1085lb. (Heavy Hauler) gross

Avid D: (Mk-IV) - 39.5" cabin width, 1150lb-1200lb gross

Avid+: 44" cabin width*, 1250lb gross

Magnum: 44" cabin width, various up to 1750lb gross

*Avid+ fuselage is 18" longer than Avid Mk-IV (16" longer aft of seat), 4" wider across rear cabin, 10" wider across panel at knees. Windshield is re-raked and firewall to seat back is 2"+ longer than Mk-IV (more legroom)

Doug, In comparing these, I dont know what width the floor of the Avid + is, but the standard Avid was about 32 inches, while the Magnum is around 36 inches - something that could be considered as it surely affects seat width, even if they are both 44 inches at widest point - maybe not much difference unless you have big feet, or a wide stern?

ED in MO

Posted

I didn't have any trouble getting into my model "C" when I was 240 at 5'11" but it was tight to get 2 of us in there. The passenger and yourself better be comfortable with him putting his left arm around you though (around your shoulders anyway :lol: ). It did take me a few tries to get the technique down to get in and out though. A buddy who was close to my size but had one prosthetic leg used a pin to hold his stick in place so he could reach in, take the stick out, get in the plane then pop the stick back in.

I put the stick full forward and step into the plane grabbing the overhead cross tube to slide myself over.

The "A" model and the kitfox I have doors that are angled at the back and the side rails on the door sills make it much more difficult to get in and out of. I cant remember if it was changed on the "B" models or if the changes came with the "C" model. I would guess that there was a transition time between models where you could ahve had a "B" model with the angled door sill.

:BC:

Posted

My B model serial # about 247 had the flat bottom doors just like my MK IV. Jim Chuk

The "A" model and the kitfox I have doors that are angled at the back and the side rails on the door sills make it much more difficult to get in and out of. I cant remember if it was changed on the "B" models or if the changes came with the "C" model. I would guess that there was a transition time between models where you could ahve had a "B" model with the angled door sill.

:BC:/>

Posted (edited)

My B model serial # about 247 had the flat bottom doors just like my MK IV. Jim Chuk

:BC:/>/>/>/>

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks guys. I will have to try one to try on. Magnums and KF 5-7's are out of my price range. I would almost always be a solo flyer. Just me, tent sleeping bag and a little gear. I figure most of it in a bag strapped to the second seat.

Posted

I have a KF 3 and am 24+ and 6' tall. I sit on a booster seat so my head is almost touching the roof, to get better visibility and to offset shoulders with my passenger. (a seldom event) I have no problem getting in and out. I have also flown some elderly folks of my size that were able to get in and out even though they needed the assistance of a cane to walk.

Good luck.

Posted

I have a KF 3 and am 24+ and 6' tall. I sit on a booster seat so my head is almost touching the roof, to get better visibility and to offset shoulders with my passenger. (a seldom event) I have no problem getting in and out. I have also flown some elderly folks of my size that were able to get in and out even though they needed the assistance of a cane to walk.

Good luck.

By 24+ did you mean 240lbs plus? If so it sounds like a "C" or "III" or later will work for me. Now the search for one continues.

Thanks to all.

Posted

YES 240+ is me.. a few extra pounds in fat fingers too.