Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Buuilding wings for model 2

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Are there plans to build new wings from scratch? I have a lead on a model II with no wings.

Thanks

Edited by garage monster

Posted

Assembly instructions would be easy to get, either from a fellow builder or an oem. Spars and drag tubes again easy to get from your local aluminum supplier. Nothing special about the fabric. Used or oem unassembled internals can be found if you look.

New Flapperons, ribs, fuel tanks will all need to come from either Airdale or Kitfox, though. Drawings for these don't exist.

Posted

The other option is buying a set of used wings if the Kitfox 2 deal is good enough, another set of wings could be found. I actually have a set of Avid Heavy Hauler wings hanging on the wall of the hangar that I will eventually get rid of. They have 14 gallon tanks in each wing. They have some damage, mostly just the rib tails broke off which is repairable. I had planed to fix them, cover them and then sell them. Haven't got to it yet. They should fit on a Kitfox, spacing on the wing carry through tubes is the same on both planes (27 1/2") You might have to customize the lift struts to get the right dihedral, but I'm not sure on that. I don't think Avid ever changed the lift strut location on the wings in their different models, I do know the ones on the Kitfox 3 are further out on the wing then the Kitfox 1 and 2 were. First Kitfox was a modified copy of the Avid, so many things are the same on these plane, especially on the early Kitfoxes. Take care, Jim Chuk

Assembly instructions would be easy to get, either from a fellow builder or an oem. Spars and drag tubes again easy to get from your local aluminum supplier. Nothing special about the fabric. Used or oem unassembled internals can be found if you look.

New Flapperons, ribs, fuel tanks will all need to come from either Airdale or Kitfox, though. Drawings for these don't exist.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Are there plans to build new wings from scratch? I have a lead on a model II with no wings.

Thanks

Building wings is fairly easy, and lots of us have plans and instructions from Kitfox and Avid.

The early model spars with the vertical rib in the center are no longer available, but inserts can be put into plain tubing to compensate. Avid went from .065 wall tubing to .083 for heavier models. .065 is fine for your 2.

I built mine from scratch, and have some fixtures that could be used for making ribs.

One thing I believe we have a consensus on, is only making them with 1/2 inch washout, as the older models had more washout than needed, but they are still useable.

If you can buy wings, you will be ahead of the building game, even if they need repairs, IMO. If you can find wings with flaperons, that would really be a bonus.

Any of us should be willing to help you if you need info.

ED in MO

Where are you located?

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I'm just about complete with building my wings and have never done it before. I would say they are pretty easy just takes time. as mentioned you could possibly save some serious time and a bit of money if you can find a set of complete wings, if so make sure they have the newer ethanol resistant fuel tanks in them they will have a SN# on them. Should you decide to just build them yourself you can get ribs from KF for a reasonable price I'm sure they were slightly different airfoil but will work just fine just make sure you get the matching butt rib for the fuselage. If you do go this route and you need I have a new set of powder coated speed wing spars that I decided not to use let me know if you're interested and I will get you a price. ask lots of questions on here and I'm sure someone here can get you the answer you need, they always come through for me :)good luck

-Robert- :Edit: I was assuming you are referring to an Avid you might clarify if its an Avid or Kitfox

Edited by High Country

Posted (edited)

If Kitfox or Avid cant supply the original undercambered STOL ribs for your wings, I can send you a pattern. I also have some rib-building fixtures for sale. I can have the Kitfox 1 manual copied which is the same wing.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

There is a guy on the TeamKitfoxForum with a set of Kitfox 3 wings, and flaperons for sale. Just a reminder, the strut attachment point is further out on the Kitfox 3 than the 2, but if you have the Kitfox 3 struts, that might not be an issue. Or maybe you can just lengthen the Kitfox 2 struts. The guy was looking for an idea of what they were worth. Might come to a deal with him. Take care, Jim Chuk

If Kitfox or Avid cant supply the original undercambered STOL ribs for your wings, I can send you a pattern. I also have some rib-building fixtures for sale. I can have the Kitfox 1 manual copied which is the same wing.

ED in MO

Posted

I'm still interested in finding a set of used but straight flaperons for an "Avid C HH" if anyone has or knows of a set around.

Posted

I have a set, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them. Thinking maybe when I rebuild the wings I would sell them togeather. Might let them go sooner though???? Take care, Jim Chuk

I'm still interested in finding a set of used but straight flaperons for an "Avid C HH" if anyone has or knows of a set around.

Posted (edited)

I have a set, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them. Thinking maybe when I rebuild the wings I would sell them togeather. Might let them go sooner though????/>/> Take care, Jim Chuk

Please keep me in mind if you decide you can part with them... (and I can afford what you want). :shitfan:

Thanks

Stephen

Edited by Stephen N613HH

Posted

The guy on the TeamKitfox Forum with the Kitfox 3 wings has the flaperons also. I'm thinking they may be the same as the Avid ones. You would have to compare the hangars/hinges and distance between them and yours. I do know that the Kitfox 4 flaperons are larger and mount differently. He is in Michigan, I'm in Mn, so he's further from you than me, but maybe a deal could be made. Anyone want to offer an opinion what one should ask for them? And yes I do realize that opinion would be somewhat different if one was buying or selling. LOL! Take care, Jim Chuk

I do have the brand new flaperons that are in that Kitfox 1 kit I just picked up a week ago, but I'm still not sure if I want to part it out or sell it off as a complete kit.

Please keep me in mind if you decide you can part with them... (and I can afford what you want). :shitfan:/>

Thanks

Stephen

Posted

The guy on the TeamKitfox Forum with the Kitfox 3 wings has the flaperons also. I'm thinking they may be the same as the Avid ones. You would have to compare the hangars/hinges and distance between them and yours. I do know that the Kitfox 4 flaperons are larger and mount differently. He is in Michigan, I'm in Mn, so he's further from you than me, but maybe a deal could be made. Anyone want to offer an opinion what one should ask for them? And yes I do realize that opinion would be somewhat different if one was buying or selling. LOL! Take care, Jim Chuk

I do have the brand new flaperons that are in that Kitfox 1 kit I just picked up a week ago, but I'm still not sure if I want to part it out or sell it off as a complete kit.

I know what the factory wants for a set... NO THANKS, I will build my own for a very small fraction of the price.. I would not want to insult you with putting a number out there Jim, however, I will tell you that I would go without flying for a very long time before I paid the factory for a set of them, and I cant live without flying! :lol:

:BC:

Posted

Leni, you wouldn't insult me, just curious, what did the factory want for a set? Was that the Avid or Kitfox factory? About 8 years ago, I picked up a messed up Kitfox 3 that needed a wing and flaperon. I remember talking to Kitfox then and they wanted to sell me a Kitfox 4 wing kit. Don't think it included the flaperons, but it may have. They wanted about $4500. Later on I was sure glad I didn't do anything with them. Just after that they stopped filling orders after taking the money. I would probably have been one of the poor guys that got screwed. Just to be clear on this, if anyone doesn't know about this Kitfox thing, it's not the current owners that were robbing people. Take care, Jim Chuk

I know what the factory wants for a set... NO THANKS, I will build my own for a very small fraction of the price.. I would not want to insult you with putting a number out there Jim, however, I will tell you that I would go without flying for a very long time before I paid the factory for a set of them, and I cant live without flying! :lol:/>

:BC:/>

Posted

Leni, you wouldn't insult me, just curious, what did the factory want for a set? Was that the Avid or Kitfox factory? About 8 years ago, I picked up a messed up Kitfox 3 that needed a wing and flaperon. I remember talking to Kitfox then and they wanted to sell me a Kitfox 4 wing kit. Don't think it included the flaperons, but it may have. They wanted about $4500. Later on I was sure glad I didn't do anything with them. Just after that they stopped filling orders after taking the money. I would probably have been one of the poor guys that got screwed. Just to be clear on this, if anyone doesn't know about this Kitfox thing, it's not the current owners that were robbing people. Take care, Jim Chuk

I was going to replace mine because they were a little beat up.. in 2008 or 2009 Avid wanted 1250.00 each. I decided to live with a few dents and dings.

:BC: