Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

PARK BRAKE INSTALLATION?

19 posts in this topic

Posted

Doug and Jim Chuk,

I know you were talking on the TKF forum about mounting park brakes. Have you got any photos to share on here?

Thanks,

ED in MO

Posted

Not the best picture or installation perhaps, but here is what I did on my Kitfox 4. (got to get back working on that one of these days!) Take care, Jim Chukpost-329-13629192945614_thumb.jpgpost-329-13629193078862_thumb.jpg

Posted

Not the best picture or installation perhaps, but here is what I did on my Kitfox 4. (got to get back working on that one of these days!) Take care, Jim Chukpost-329-13629192945614_thumb.jpgpost-329-13629193078862_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the post Jim,

Thats about what I had in mind, but hadnt decided on how to activate it.

Ed in MO

Posted

Ed, I just bought one of the Matco parking valves. Got a couple install ideas, will post pics when done.

Posted

Ed, I just bought one of the Matco parking valves. Got a couple install ideas, will post pics when done.

Thanks Doug,

I've got an old one - not Matco - 90 degree - If it dont test out, then will be looking at Matco or something.

Ed in Mo

Posted

Well, you're not gonna like this... Matco had across-the-board price increases 3/1/13 for just about everything on their website. I priced everything I needed to do my brake job but held off on placing the order until I could get a good look under my seat pan over the weekend. I about shat my pants when I went to order on Monday and saw the price increases. I had spoke to George prior so he honored the old prices, phew!

Posted (edited)

Well, you're not gonna like this... Matco had across-the-board price increases 3/1/13 for just about everything on their website. I priced everything I needed to do my brake job but held off on placing the order until I could get a good look under my seat pan over the weekend. I about shat my pants when I went to order on Monday and saw the price increases. I had spoke to George prior so he honored the old prices, phew!

So, how much is my $20 park brake selling for now?" Can these be rebuilt?

Ed

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

So, how much is my $20 park brake selling for now?" Can these be rebuilt?

Ed

Look on the sand rail sites. You can get line locks for 20 bucks still. I have had one in my sand rail for YEARS and never had it fail.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Look on the sand rail sites. You can get line locks for 20 bucks still. I have had one in my sand rail for YEARS and never had it fail.

:BC:/>/>

WHAT, pray tell - is a sand rail? Is that what we call dune buggies, made from VWs and other critters?

I had a mud rail once - rear engine 389 pontiac - real blast - and real wet!

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

WHAT, pray tell - is a sand rail? Is that what we call dune buggies, made from VWs and other critters?

I had a mud rail once - rear engine 389 pontiac - real blast - and real wet!

ED in MO

Yes, its a dune buggy! A lot of fun!!

Posted

Yes, its a dune buggy! A lot of fun!!

:BC:/>

Been away from Bugs for years - what sites supply parts?

Thanks, Ed

Posted

The true man's man runs a Cadillac Northstar motor in his sand rail these days. With a turbo or two, I've heard of them getting 600+ hp pretty reliably...

northstaratdunes.jpg

Posted

The true man's man runs a Cadillac Northstar motor in his sand rail these days. With a turbo or two, I've heard of them getting 600+ hp pretty reliably...

He wouldnt get far on the little aluminum beerkeg gastank, and 50-cent-a-gal, gas we had on our VW's - but must be a hell of a ride!

Ed in MO

Posted

yeah, that looks like a bit more than my little 2110 bored and stroked VW :lol: ... but even with what I have, I put a brand new 97 chevy with a 350 vortec to shame on a paved road... he would have never thought I could take him, but by the time I shifted from 3rd to 4th gear he was just a dot in the rear view and I was over 100 MPH. Its fun to play with in the mud and sand. Many times I put big jacked up 4X4s to shame with mine dancing across the top of the mud. I will have to dig out the old video tapes and comvert them to digital and post up some vids one of these days.

Posted

yeah, that looks like a bit more than my little 2110 bored and stroked VW :lol:/> ... but even with what I have, I put a brand new 97 chevy with a 350 vortec to shame on a paved road... he would have never thought I could take him, but by the time I shifted from 3rd to 4th gear he was just a dot in the rear view and I was over 100 MPH. Its fun to play with in the mud and sand. Many times I put big jacked up 4X4s to shame with mine dancing across the top of the mud. I will have to dig out the old video tapes and comvert them to digital and post up some vids one of these days.

:BC:/>

All in the weight:horsepower ratio - our "high performance" little birds can outdrag a 747 - for a short distance.

Ed in MO

Posted

This is what I ended up doing, almost done..

post-53-0-20268700-1365300360_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-29318700-1365300361_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-29414000-1365300362_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

I don't feel any detent in my lever - guess I will have to rig up something to hold the lever open/closed - would hate for it to vibrate to closed position while flying - or reset by a pilots foot accidently - kind of hard on pilots to have no brakes on touchdown!

Thanks,

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri