Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Big Orange is now a little Bird

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I am happy to say the DAR signed my plane off 673 dollars later. Cant wait to fly it.

Posted (edited)

I am happy to say the DAR signed my plane off 673 dollars later. Cant wait to fly it.

Expensive - yes - but how did you finally get it approved? Did the DAR back off on TCDS or maybe he learned that it was not needed? Did you have to repair or change anything?

Did you ever hear from the FAA? Where is your Phase I area?

Detailed report please - Congrats - Now you can have fun.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Congrats Jeff!!

I just got off the phone with him. Sounds like it was a quick inspection and he didn't even look under the cowling! 25 hr fly off and 75 mile radius from biglake!

Randy, you ready to make some trips to the lodge and up the river burning gas? I can fly Jeffs plane, maybe he can hitch a ride with you while we burn from gas and air! or Vice Versa maybe one way or the other we can get them both in the air for part of the fly off.

Again, congrats on getting the pink slip! ( i think this is the only time getting a pink slip really is good) :lol:

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Congrats Jeff!!

I just got off the phone with him. Sounds like it was a quick inspection and he didn't even look under the cowling! 25 hr fly off and 75 mile radius from biglake!

Randy, you ready to make some trips to the lodge and up the river burning gas? I can fly Jeffs plane, maybe he can hitch a ride with you while we burn from gas and air! or Vice Versa maybe one way or the other we can get them both in the air for part of the fly off.

Again, congrats on getting the pink slip! ( i think this is the only time getting a pink slip really is good) :lol:/>/>/>/>

:BC:/>/>/>/>

How did he manage the 25 hour? Thought it should be 40? Has this been flown before?

Was this the same DAR he had problems with?

Looks like you've got some weather coming - Low pressure storm headed your way?

Is the Wasilla runway still gravel? Bob Hoover wouldnt land his Shrike on it when he did the show.

Ed

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

How did he manage the 25 hour? Thought it should be 40? Has this been flown before?

Was this the same DAR he had problems with?

Looks like you've got some weather coming - Low pressure storm headed your way?

Is the Wasilla runway still gravel? Bob Hoover wouldnt land his Shrike on it when he did the show.

Ed

After several discussions with the FAA they put the DAR on the right track. It basically hurt his feelings that he could not treat my plane like it was going to be certified so he just quickly went over it and got out of dodge. All I did was ask for the 25 hour and I explained to him the prop and the 582 are proven components. Lo and behold he went for it.

It is a good idea to always have the FAA contact the DAR before the inspection to remind them how far the end of their nose is.

Did not need to change or repair anything. The only recommendation was to secure the safety cables on the bungee gear so they could not move. He also didn't like the bungee touching the flap handle bolt.

Edited by Avid Heavy

Posted

If you are using a known engine, prop, airframe combination, they can give you a 20 hr fly off.. The rules do not read a hard and fast 40 hrs. Kind of like going for your PPL.. the national average is 40 hrs to get it, but all you really have to do is be able to demonstrate proficiency. If you have been flying alot with your dad or buddy, and you have a leg up on then learning / flying curve, you just have to show the instructor you can do all the required maneuvers, then he can sign you off as ready for the check ride.

Posted (edited)

Not saying I'm right, but I though that the 25 hr fly off time was if you were using a certified engine like a Lyc. or Cont. Didn't think that was the case with a 2 stroke. But I guess if the DAR lets it go,.... why argue with it. Congrats on getting the cert.! Now it's time to start putting time on that plane. Take care, Jim Chuk

PS Just was digging through some paperwork I had about Certification of Amateur built aircraft. The Advisory Circular #20-27D is what I was looking at. It is dated 6/22/1990, so it may have been changed, but here is what it says on page 12. Section 13, Flight Test Areas (paragraph) a. Amateur-built airplanes and rotorcraft will initially be limited to operation within an assigned flight test area for at least 25 hours when a type certificated (FAA-approved) engine/propeller combination is installed, or 40 hours when a noncertificated (i.e., modified type certificated or automobile) engine/propeller combination is installed. It goes on from there to talk about gliders, balloons ect, ect. I'm going to see if I can dig up an updated one.

PSPS Just dug some more on the FAA website, and AC 20-27G is the current AC for this. On page 27, Table 7 it gives the same info as the earlier AC 20-27D regarding phase 1 flight times depending on engine and propeller.

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Not saying I'm right, but I though that the 25 hr fly off time was if you were using a certified engine like a Lyc. or Cont. Didn't think that was the case with a 2 stroke. But I guess if the DAR lets it go,.... why argue with it. Congrats on getting the cert.! Now it's time to start putting time on that plane. Take care, Jim Chuk

PS Just was digging through some paperwork I had about Certification of Amateur built aircraft. The Advisory Circular #20-27D is what I was looking at. It is dated 6/22/1990, so it may have been changed, but here is what it says on page 12. Section 13, Flight Test Areas (paragraph) a. Amateur-built airplanes and rotorcraft will initially be limited to operation within an assigned flight test area for at least 25 hours when a type certificated (FAA-approved) engine/propeller combination is installed, or 40 hours when a noncertificated (i.e., modified type certificated or automobile) engine/propeller combination is installed. It goes on from there to talk about gliders, balloons ect, ect. I'm going to see if I can dig up an updated one.

PSPS Just dug some more on the FAA website, and AC 20-27G is the current AC for this. On page 27, Table 7 it gives the same info as the earlier AC 20-27D regarding phase 1 flight times depending on engine and propeller.

Thats what I read too - Guess the DAR hadnt read it - Now, if he's lucky, FSDO wont catch it either when he gets his new Phase II authorization on his new operating limitations, or he can circle Big Lake for another 15 hours.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Congrats Jeff!!

Again, congrats on getting the pink slip! ( i think this is the only time getting a pink slip really is good) :lol:src="http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smilielol.gif">

:BC:src="http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/public/style_emoticons/default/BC.gif">

Congrats Jeff! Maybe he felt bad after running you through the ringer and decided to compensate by giving you a 25 hour test period. Don't argue with that gift!

I am ready Leni, Time to get both the bird and the pilot in the air, even if separate for the time being. What is your schedule looking like?

I may be flying out to Tokotna on Tuesday for the rest of this week if the weather cooperates. My buddy has a couple friends up from the lower 48 and he is sending them in a pair of 172's but he wants to fly his Cub. Since it is my speed, the two of us will go out to there and back this week if all works out.

Edited by SuberAvid

Posted

CONGRATULATIONS! :bday:

Posted

Congrats Jeff! Maybe he felt bad after running you through the ringer and decided to compensate by giving you a 25 hour test period. Don't argue with that gift!

I am ready Leni, Time to get both the bird and the pilot in the air, even if separate for the time being. What is your schedule looking like?

I may be flying out to Tokotna on Tuesday for the rest of this week if the weather cooperates. My buddy has a couple friends up from the lower 48 and he is sending them in a pair of 172's but he wants to fly his Cub. Since it is my speed, the two of us will go out to there and back this week if all works out.

I get home the 19th unless I have to work over a week..Looks like that may be in the works for me.. I also got a call yesterday from Julie and it looks like I will be at the lodge for atleast a week.. Peter is coming in the 6th from Germany and Heinz is coming in from Switzerland for party week.. So we have Dans B-day on the 25th, Julie is turning 28 again on the 29th (there should be a limit on how many times a woman can turn 28) and Heinz is having a huge Bday bash for the big 70 on the 1st of April. Something tells me I wont be flying much that week, nor getting much wood cut, but it should be one heck of a good time with ALOT of guests coming in for the big 7-0 party. I think there will be 15-20 people coming in from Germany and Switzerland for that one!

So, all that being said... I probly wont have much free time unless I get home on time to pull off alot of flying around big lake unless I get up there the 24th after I drop Christine off at the lodge. I will keep you guys updated on the work schedule and see if we cant pull off some weather and time to get some hours on that new bird!