Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Latest on Belly Pod/ LE Slats

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I got to talk to Randy Apling at Plaschem for a good while yesterday and he is interested in building the belly pod patterned after the original Avid pod that Avid Heavy has, but doing it out of Carbon Fiber. I will pick up Jeff's pod this weekend and take it to Randy to see what he thinks about using it for a mold plug. We also talked about making the mold so it could be widened to fit the Avid+ and Magnum, and to make it with edge flanges so it could be fit to the variations between the Avid and KF generations. I plan to put it up to the Avid+ fusalage to see how close it fits to it;and if Dave or someone with a KF in this area is available, it would be good to see how close it fits to the KF. Randy says the stock SuperCub belly fiberglass pod is about 22 lbs and his Carbon fiber pod for the Cub is 12 lbs. I think Jeff said the Avid pod is around 18 lbs so in CF is should be under 10 lbs.

Randy is also building an all CF leading edge slat system for Cubs, including the mounting standoffs. The next set he finishes we are going to take to the hangar and see if they could be used on the Avid wing with a new standoff designed for the Avid wing. If not that. he also builds CF leading edges for Cubs that save 10 lbs off of the stock alum leading edge. I showed him the sketch that Jim posted on the alum leading edge for the Avid and he said that would be easy to build out of CF. I think I will be using one or the other on my new Avid wings. He is reallly interested in adding to the parts he builds for experimentals and I think there is a reasonable amount of us in the Avid/KF community who would be interested in this stuff so I will keep you posted as this develops.

Posted

Sounds interesting, for me, especially the leading edge parts. If they were made in 3' or 4' long pieces, they would be easy to ship as well as easier to make. Just thought about that some more, and if the leading edge is made to go back as far as the false ribs do, it would be better in a 3' length, cause the splice would land on a rib. Take care, Jim Chuk

I got to talk to Randy Apling at Plaschem for a good while yesterday and he is interested in building the belly pod patterned after the original Avid pod that Avid Heavy has, but doing it out of Carbon Fiber. I will pick up Jeff's pod this weekend and take it to Randy to see what he thinks about using it for a mold plug. We also talked about making the mold so it could be widened to fit the Avid+ and Magnum, and to make it with edge flanges so it could be fit to the variations between the Avid and KF generations. I plan to put it up to the Avid+ fusalage to see how close it fits to it;and if Dave or someone with a KF in this area is available, it would be good to see how close it fits to the KF. Randy says the stock SuperCub belly fiberglass pod is about 22 lbs and his Carbon fiber pod for the Cub is 12 lbs. I think Jeff said the Avid pod is around 18 lbs so in CF is should be under 10 lbs.

Randy is also building an all CF leading edge slat system for Cubs, including the mounting standoffs. The next set he finishes we are going to take to the hangar and see if they could be used on the Avid wing with a new standoff designed for the Avid wing. If not that. he also builds CF leading edges for Cubs that save 10 lbs off of the stock alum leading edge. I showed him the sketch that Jim posted on the alum leading edge for the Avid and he said that would be easy to build out of CF. I think I will be using one or the other on my new Avid wings. He is reallly interested in adding to the parts he builds for experimentals and I think there is a reasonable amount of us in the Avid/KF community who would be interested in this stuff so I will keep you posted as this develops.

Posted

If only he could keep the prices on the belly pod to around the original price for them.. If he can keep the pod under 1,000 bucks it may be worth it, but if its over that I will be kicking rocks till I make my own. I hate to pay money out for things I can make myself.... Now if I could only get the time to build all the crap I am too cheap to buy :lol:

At any rate, I agree, I do think there is a viable market for the parts as long as the cost is not prohibitive. Hmmm... Wonder what it would take to make CF fairings for the struts :dunno:

:BC:

Posted

Sounds interesting, for me, especially the leading edge parts. If they were made in 3' or 4' long pieces, they would be easy to ship as well as easier to make. Just thought about that some more, and if the leading edge is made to go back as far as the false ribs do, it would be better in a 3' length, cause the splice would land on a rib. Take care, Jim Chuk

Kitfox ships their plastic LE as 4 pieces, 2 for each wing - that would be more practical to build/ship.

ED in MO

Posted

All good suggestions! I will let him know that maybe 3' or 6' for the leading edge would be best to match the rib spacing and make them shipable. Also I want them to wrap around the spar so they could attach to the rib underneath (not the spar) and cover to the back of the false ribs.

I am hoping the pod can be made for less that $1000 also!! If it can be done in CF for that he is probably the one who will do it. His business is commercial and custom fiberglass and plastics but his passion is airplanes. He has a Supercub and a 180 and says his mechanic hates him...

Posted

Heres the pictures again for those interested.

post-526-13600267089778_thumb.jpg

post-526-13600267372149_thumb.jpg

post-526-13600267698957_thumb.jpg

post-526-13600267964658_thumb.jpg