Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dean Wilson's latest creation

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I am fortunate enough to be friends with Dean Wilson. He just recently finished this project so I thought I would share.

In the early days of the California gold rush, it took more than 200 days for a ship to travel from New York to San Francisco, a voyage of more than 16,000 miles. In 1851, however, a clipper called the Flying Cloud made the same journey in only 89 days, a headline-grabbing world record that the Cloud itself beat three years later (and that would not then be broken until 1989)..

Dean built and EXACT replica only scaled down. The rigging, cockpit, and cedar work on this thing are beyond amazing. This man is SOOOO talented!!

It has a Kevlar bottom, it's 27ft long, and has room for 2 people. In these pics he was sailing UPRIVER in a 6-8mph current with less than 5mph of wind. ITS FOR SALE as well. I guess it's a bit much for one guy to launch so he's looking to get rid of it. Obviously it's a one of kind machine.

The man

dean3.jpg

dean2.jpg

Amazing woodword

Dean1.jpg

dean4.jpg

Posted

Really cool ship - Only disappointment is that the "Flying Cloud" is not airworthy!

ED in MO

Posted

Thanks Joey. Give him our best and glad to see his creative juices still flowing!

Posted

Dean is amazing. For 27' long she sure aint very deep sided nor wide. One would think that you could at least make a day cruiser out of her and have a dinette etc in there. She looks smaller than 27'. Was that a typo and she is only 17' :dunno:

:BC:

Posted (edited)

I can't find any pics of the MKIV FWF here at the house but I can take some of it if needed when I get out to the hangar (and if someone else doesn't send some first).

Nice pictures of Dean's sail boat Joey, and you probably know about his very latest. He had the 40 horse cont. from his first airplane (T. Craft) overhauled and started building an airplane to fit it. Started cutting tubing 1/25/12 Here's some of the progress pics. --If I can figure out how to do it.

Edited by Logtrucker

Posted

Nice pictures of Dean's sail boat Joey, and you probably know about his very latest. He had the 40 horse cont. from his first airplane (T. Craft) overhauled and started building an airplane to fit it. Started cutting tubing 1/25/12 Here's some of the progress pics. --If I can figure out how to do it.

Is this Mr. Roy? Your attachment didn't work. Email me at kc135joey at hotmail dot com and I can post them for you. I have heard about that plane and I am curious to see the wing.