Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Injection Oil Question

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Aside from all the rumors what is the best oil to use in a rotax 582 greyhead from 1992 regardless of the expense.

Thanks

Posted

Aside from all the rumors what is the best oil to use in a rotax 582 greyhead from 1992 regardless of the expense.

Thanks

How often do you plan to fly.. in reality. If you fly every couple days then a full synthetic is about the best you can go. If you will go a couple or a few weeks inbetween flights a semi synthetic is the best route. Full syn. will run right off the cylinder walls in a couple weeks and set you us for corrosion issues and is not nice to your engine on start up.

Up here, the local guys and me have been running the CITGO Sea n snow with great results. No fouling, not wearing issues, no problems.. Crowley has it in Palmer. The Mystic is another good one, but is full synthetic.

Some guys are running amsoil premix at 100/1 but I am not ready to give up the oil injection and trying to mix the gas out on the river or at a remote location. I just carry a couple quarts of oil in the plane and dump it in the injection tank.

ALOT of guys were running the penzoil aircooled 2 stroke oil, but I dont think you can find it anymore.

:BC:

Posted

After you recomended it several years ago, I've been running the Citco Sea and Snow oil as well with good results. Priced right also. I buy it 12 quarts to the box from a local distributor. If I remember right it came out to about $4.30 a quart. It got up to +13 F today so I burned some of it in some very smooth Mn flying. Got the skis on early in the week and left some marks on a lake and a friend's strip. Should have got an after pic also, but didn't. Take care, Jim Chuk

How often do you plan to fly.. in reality. If you fly every couple days then a full synthetic is about the best you can go. If you will go a couple or a few weeks inbetween flights a semi synthetic is the best route. Full syn. will run right off the cylinder walls in a couple weeks and set you us for corrosion issues and is not nice to your engine on start up.

Up here, the local guys and me have been running the CITGO Sea n snow with great results. No fouling, not wearing issues, no problems.. Crowley has it in Palmer. The Mystic is another good one, but is full synthetic.

Some guys are running amsoil premix at 100/1 but I am not ready to give up the oil injection and trying to mix the gas out on the river or at a remote location. I just carry a couple quarts of oil in the plane and dump it in the injection tank.

ALOT of guys were running the penzoil aircooled 2 stroke oil, but I dont think you can find it anymore.

:BC:/>

post-329-13561402354931_thumb.jpg

Posted

Jim,

Looks like a SWEET strip and the terrain looks like it could right here in my local playground. Glad the oil is working out for you! The last cases I bought worked out to be around 11.50 a gallon for the CITGO. I can't get cases of the gallon jugs anymore so they are all in quarts, but that is actually easier as I dont have to pour from the gallon into the quarts anymore for keeping some extra in the plane.

At some point here I will have to switch oils as the distributor here only has 150 cases left and they are not planning on getting anymore when this runs out unless I can generate enough intrest to have them bring in more. I run it in the Plane, Boat and Snowmachines so I go through 8-10 cases a year on average. I should be good to go for awhile yet :lol:

:BC:

Posted

You got a good price on the oil, I looked at my reciept and I paid $47.54 pluss tax for the 12 quart box. I wrote on the slip $63.20 for the 4 gallon box. That ends up being $15.80 before sales tax. Take care, Jim Chuk

Jim,

Looks like a SWEET strip and the terrain looks like it could right here in my local playground. Glad the oil is working out for you! The last cases I bought worked out to be around 11.50 a gallon for the CITGO. I can't get cases of the gallon jugs anymore so they are all in quarts, but that is actually easier as I dont have to pour from the gallon into the quarts anymore for keeping some extra in the plane.

At some point here I will have to switch oils as the distributor here only has 150 cases left and they are not planning on getting anymore when this runs out unless I can generate enough intrest to have them bring in more. I run it in the Plane, Boat and Snowmachines so I go through 8-10 cases a year on average. I should be good to go for awhile yet :lol:/>

:BC:/>

Posted (edited)

Aside from all the rumors what is the best oil to use in a rotax 582 greybeard from 1992 regardless of the expense.

Thanks

I talked to Bill Holmes at the Rotax booth while at Oshkosh this year. He told me the Pennzoil Marine XLF is the exact formula as the Pennzoil we were using before they stooped making it. It can be bought at any automotive or large outlets. Can be mixed with the old Pennzoil as it is the same.

Russ. N844RS

Edited by Russ.

Posted

Is there anything special you run in the rotary valve shaft housing?

Thanks

Posted

Is there anything special you run in the rotary valve shaft housing?

Thanks

We all use the same oil for both. Russ N844RS