Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

WEIGHT OF BARE FUSELAGE?

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Has anyone ever weighed a bare fuselage of one of the standard, or extended models, or seen any factory info on what the standard weight might be? I would like something to compare mine to, or tell wife to go on a diet!

Mine just went into cold storage for the winter - weather moving in here tonight

- when I thaw it out next summer I will weigh it and post.

ED in MO

P.S. Anyone on the Kitfox forum who can ask? - I dont go there.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Has anyone ever weighed a bare fuselage of one of the standard, or extended models, or seen any factory info on what the standard weight might be? I would like something to compare mine to, or tell wife to go on a diet!

Mine just went into cold storage for the winter - weather moving in here tonight

ED in MO

I cant believe that NO ONE has ever weighed a fuselage! If so, it wont do any good to post the weight of mine - no one will ever know if it is heavy or not.

Oh, come on now..........

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

No clue, sorry Ed.

My current plane is about 645 on wheels. I'd like to keep the project plane under that, but have the realistic goal of 650. My buddies hybrid came in at a surprising 670. We all thought it would be more due to the extra steel he added...

Posted (edited)

No clue, sorry Ed.

My current plane is about 645 on wheels. I'd like to keep the project plane under that, but have the realistic goal of 650. My buddies hybrid came in at a surprising 670. We all thought it would be more due to the extra steel he added...

Thats good info - is this the KF4, and what engine? How many tanks?

I am figuring my engine, landing gears, wings with 4 tanks, should come in at about 400 or little more.

The extra tubing on the fuselage really doesnt add much weight.

If I can get wife to lose about 200 pounds, then we might be barely under LSA!

ED

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I was going to weigh mine... but it was to big to hang onto and let me step up on the bathroom scales... :lol:

:BC:

Posted (edited)

I was going to weigh mine... but it was to big to hang onto and let me step up on the bathroom scales... :lol:/>/>/>

:BC:/>/>/>

I hope you meant Plane - not wife!

I went to school to learn that - takes 2 people and 2 scales - neither can be a woman! :lol:/>

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

No clue, sorry Ed.

Believe you may have the chance to be the first to ever weigh a fuselage when you get yours done. I hope so.

Thanks,

ED

Posted

Thats good info - is this the KF4, and what engine? How many tanks?

My flying plane is a Kitfox Model IV-1050, with a Rotax 912UL and two standard 13 gallon wing tanks.

Posted (edited)

I've been stripping down the Avid MK IV that I crash landed a year and a half ago and almost have it down to bare bones. I'll try to get it on the scales before I start adding anything back to it. My guess is about 100 lbs. Just to claify, I'm referring to just the fusaloge at that weight. Take care, Jim Chuk

My flying plane is a Kitfox Model IV-1050, with a Rotax 912UL and two standard 13 gallon wing tanks.

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted

I've been stripping down the Avid MK IV that I crash landed a year and a half ago and almost have it down to bare bones. I'll try to get it on the scales before I start adding anything back to it. My guess is about 100 lbs. Just to claify, I'm referring to just the fusaloge at that weight. Take care, Jim Chuk

Thanks Jim,

Now we may have something to refer to.

ED in MO

Posted

If I were to hazard a guess I would put my project fuselage at the 100-150 pound range as it stands on the fixture.

Posted

ED in MO

i seem to remeber 67 lbs for the bare fuselage but its been a few years

Posted

I am pretty certain that my fuse was well under 100#. I know it was nothing for me and the daughter to move it around and she is a lil thing (4'9") and 90# soaking wet.... well she was then anyway hahahaha

:BC:

Posted (edited)

I am pretty certain that my fuse was well under 100#. I know it was nothing for me and the daughter to move it around and she is a lil thing (4'9") and 90# soaking wet.... well she was then anyway hahahaha

:BC:/>/>/>

My original KF1 fuselage, now hanging from the ceiling, weighs almost nothing - guessing under 70 lbs, compared to the new modified one, which I really believe will go well over 100 lbs. But big difference in gross weights when finished.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

And the winner is..... Well I got almost everything stripped off my Avid MK IV fusaloge. Only things left on were rudder cables, elevator control tube, flap control and tube, mixer controls behind the seat and the trim lever and cable running back to the elevator. Put it on two bathroom scales and back one said 26 and front one said 46. I think they are fairly close to right. Looks like 70lbs or a touch less stripped clean. Take care, Jim Chuk

My original KF1 fuselage, now hanging from the ceiling, weighs almost nothing - guessing under 70 lbs, compared to the new modified one, which I really believe will go well over 100 lbs. But big difference in gross weights when finished.

ED in MO