Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tail Wheel endorsement

6 posts in this topic

Posted

So I went out last week and got my tailwheel endorsement in a 1955 Cessna 170B. It was great! what a very docile aircraft to fly. we spent two days 4.6 hrs TT and made landings at four airports in winds up to 15 KTS. it was a great time. Now if the weather would cooperate I have a flight up north to coeur d'Alene planed to pick up a Stinson 108-3 for a friend who just bought it and bring it back down here to southern Idaho. I will put up some pics of the flight once we get back. It will be the furthest north I've flown yet over some amazing country I'm looking forward to it.

-Robert-

post-352-13545853950987_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

So I went out last week and got my tailwheel endorsement in a 1955 Cessna 170B. It was great! what a very docile aircraft to fly. we spent two days 4.6 hrs TT and made landings at four airports in winds up to 15 KTS. it was a great time. Now if the weather would cooperate I have a flight up north to coeur d'Alene planed to pick up a Stinson 108-3 for a friend who just bought it and bring it back down here to southern Idaho. I will put up some pics of the flight once we get back. It will be the furthest north I've flown yet over some amazing country I'm looking forward to it.

-Robert-

congrats Robert - welcome to the TD club. I had mine about 100 years ago, along with my Motorcycle endorsment, but lost logbook in house fire in 1976 and never needed to get the TD or MC back again.

Good Flying,

ED in MO

P.S. If you need to get the Stinson off quickly, just get some speed up and grab the handle and pull flaps and it will jump off.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

170B is a sweet bird. A buddy had one with 180 HP and CS prop and that bird was a real sweetheart to fly! Cruised fast and would JUMP off the ground and climb like I would have never believed!! Congrats on the TD endorsement. 90% of my primary training was TD in the PA-12, 180 or scout that the local flying club had and I hated every flight after that in a 152 or 172 cause it made me feel lazy and not "in control" cause the damn thing stays straight on it own smilielol.gif

The 108 flys very solid too, but I cant get over the tail on those darn things smilielol.gif To me they are like a Zenith 701 or the likes.. those planes dont fly, they are so damn ugly the earth repels them!

BC.gif

Posted

Noticed we didn't get a report about getting the Stinson. Hope things went well.... Take care, Jim Chuk

Now if the weather would cooperate I have a flight up north to coeur d'Alene planed to pick up a Stinson 108-3 for a friend who just bought it and bring it back down here to southern Idaho. I will put up some pics of the flight once we get back. It will be the furthest north I've flown yet over some amazing country I'm looking forward to it.

-Robert-

Posted

the weather has yet to cooperate with our schedules, i think it may have to wait until spring. guess that just means less distractions from building the Avid.

Posted

the weather has yet to cooperate with our schedules, i think it may have to wait until spring. guess that just means less distractions from building the Avid.

Sure - wait for the spring thunderstorms - that makes a flight in the mountains more interesting.

Merry Christmas,

ED in MO