Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bungee instalition

7 posts in this topic

Posted

HI all,

Just installing the bungees on the MK IV with the new WIB gear from Airdale. I have the bungees wrapped 8 turns and understand that the safety cable goes on the tabs over the bungees. What I can't see from the drawing, R-3 in my manual is where the large rubber bands are placed.

Any advice from the PROS. Thanks Russ. N844RS.

Posted

Russ you want them on the ends of the legs. When the bungees flex and then snap back those rubber bands act as a buffer between the gear legs and the bottom of your fuse. On a rough field those gear legs will be bouncing around pretty good.

I removed my safety cables. I've never heard of somebody having a bungee break and collapsing the gear but I have seen about 4 different airplanes with a wrecked fuse due to the bungees hitting the safety cables on a hard landing. When the gear hits those cables everything comes tight all at once and stuff bends.

My bungees are gone forever here in the next few days as I'm finishing up the install of my wide bush gear :buttrock:

Posted

Russ you want them on the ends of the legs. When the bungees flex and then snap back those rubber bands act as a buffer between the gear legs and the bottom of your fuse. On a rough field those gear legs will be bouncing around pretty good.

I removed my safety cables. I've never heard of somebody having a bungee break and collapsing the gear but I have seen about 4 different airplanes with a wrecked fuse due to the bungees hitting the safety cables on a hard landing. When the gear hits those cables everything comes tight all at once and stuff bends.

My bungees are gone forever here in the next few days as I'm finishing up the install of my wide bush gear buttrock.gif

Thanks Joey, I probably should have gone the same route with the bush gear.

Russ. N844RS MK IV HH

Posted

HI all,

Just installing the bungees on the MK IV with the new WIB gear from Airdale. I have the bungees wrapped 8 turns and understand that the safety cable goes on the tabs over the bungees. What I can't see from the drawing, R-3 in my manual is where the large rubber bands are placed.

Any advice from the PROS. Thanks Russ. N844RS.

I dont have my manual right here but the rubber bands only hold the cables up so they're not hanging loose under the plane. I don't think it matters where you attach them.

Posted

My bungees are gone forever here in the next few days as I'm finishing up the install of my wide bush gear buttrock.gif

The bungee breaking is not the issue... the gear leg breaking IS the issue. My plane was on its back TWICE before I bought it due to the gear leg failure, and I got to the take the ride in my brothers KF II when his gear leg broke and we went over. The safety cable can save your ass. If you think the cable is too short and causing dammage, just make up a little bit longer cable, but I would NOT eliminate it.

As I have posted before, do not put the cable around the gear leg where the bungees are wrapped, when the leg breaks, the cable does no good. Put the cable inside the triagle where the cluster comes together so when the end breaks off, it still holds the plane up.

Of course, this is just my .02 and was learned looking at dirt through the windscreen and skylight :lol:

:BC:

Posted

The bungee breaking is not the issue... the gear leg breaking IS the issue. My plane was on its back TWICE before I bought it due to the gear leg failure, and I got to the take the ride in my brothers KF II when his gear leg broke and we went over. The safety cable can save your ass. If you think the cable is too short and causing dammage, just make up a little bit longer cable, but I would NOT eliminate it.

As I have posted before, do not put the cable around the gear leg where the bungees are wrapped, when the leg breaks, the cable does no good. Put the cable inside the triagle where the cluster comes together so when the end breaks off, it still holds the plane up.

Of course, this is just my .02 and was learned looking at dirt through the windscreen and skylight :lol:

gear leg.pdf

Posted (edited)

I'd put primer line over the limiting cables to act as a buffer between the cables and bungees when and if they do come contact.I'm thinking from pics I've seen kitfox never used rubber bands to hold up the cables, just left them hanging below the landing gear and bottom of the bungees.That is how mine are, no rubber bands, just cables hanging there.

Mikesk

Edited by Mikesk