Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Odyssey PC545 differences

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Does anybody know the differences between the PC545, PC545 Powersport and PC545MJ? I am finding very little on the specs page. Amazon has the 545 Powersport on sale for $109 right now but I want to make sure it's the one I want as they have three 545 versions on there for 3 different prices.

Posted

When I got mine I found it on flea bay for 89 bucks delivered to my house in AK from Florida. Not sure on the differences. One thing I have learned, especially in the cold weather. The battery is not a great place to save a couple pounds. Get the biggest capacity you can within reason. I run the 625 and she has never let me down, even at -30.

:BC:

Posted

Hi

2 ref in the odyssey catalogue

same spec for the pc-545P and PC 545 MJ P

MJ = metal jacket

Posted

Yes MJ = Metal jacket. The metal jacket is just a metal box that the battery fits into. The metal jacket can also be used as a battery box. The battery is the same whether it is slid into a metal jacket or not. The metal jacket adds a bit of weight, so if you already have a battery box it is not necessary. The difference between the power sport and the other version I do not know. Could be the terminals. If you get the MJ version, you can always slide the battery out of the jacket and use it that way.

I use the PC 680MJ because I do not have a battery box. It is pretty small and light and packs a whallop for its size. No problems for two years starting my 0-320 winter and summer.

Chris

Posted

Thanks for the replies. I was going to use the 545 and this box that Odyessey batteries sells

680stand_m.jpg

The only time I fly in cold weather is when I goto Idaho in June. Otherwise 50 degrees is considered cold here in CA. Considering my current battery doesn't even have the instantaneous amps that the 545 has CCA I think it'll be plenty.

This is the beast I've been using the past 3 years

Voltage: 12.6 VDC, Energy: 5AH cap., Peak current: 250A instantaneous, Weight: 4.4 lbs., Size: 2.7"l x 3.5"w x 5.0"h

atpbattery.jpg

You can see it on my firewall here in an old Garage flying picture

IMG_3703-1.jpg

Next question...best place to buy cable besides an aircraft company??