Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

leaking tanks

5 posts in this topic

Posted

anyone have any good suggestions or recommendations on how to fix leaking 13 gal fiberglass KF tanks. They appeared to have been sealed with Kreem but after sitting for a month or so with fuel in the they have begun to leak. I was careful not to use any gas with alcohol in it but who knows. Anyone had and luck with the various sloshing compounds out there.

thanks,

EG

Posted

anyone have any good suggestions or recommendations on how to fix leaking 13 gal fiberglass KF tanks. They appeared to have been sealed with Kreem but after sitting for a month or so with fuel in the they have begun to leak. I was careful not to use any gas with alcohol in it but who knows. Anyone had and luck with the various sloshing compounds out there.

thanks,

EG

I have had great luck repairing un sloshed tanks by cutting holes in the tanks and patching the holes with structural adhesive, then riveting metal covers over the holes using polysulfide sealer on the covers. There are some photos on another thread somewhere on this site how I did my plane. Since your tanks have been sloshed, that adds a huge degree of complexity. It seems to me you need to find out what Kream is. Is it a 2 part epoxy? Is it a single part PVC coating? Or what? That's the first thing to find out and it shouldn't be too hard.

Seems to me, if it is a single part sealer, you are better off than if it is a 2 part, because hopefully you can find out what the solvent for the single part sealer is and pour it in the tank and re-slosh. Hopefully the sealer will disolve and re-coat. if that can't be done, or if a 2 part was used, I think you are in for a rough ride.

Wish I had better advice.

Chris

Posted

I have had great luck repairing un sloshed tanks by cutting holes in the tanks and patching the holes with structural adhesive, then riveting metal covers over the holes using polysulfide sealer on the covers. There are some photos on another thread somewhere on this site how I did my plane. Since your tanks have been sloshed, that adds a huge degree of complexity. It seems to me you need to find out what Kream is. Is it a 2 part epoxy? Is it a single part PVC coating? Or what? That's the first thing to find out and it shouldn't be too hard.

Seems to me, if it is a single part sealer, you are better off than if it is a 2 part, because hopefully you can find out what the solvent for the single part sealer is and pour it in the tank and re-slosh. Hopefully the sealer will disolve and re-coat. if that can't be done, or if a 2 part was used, I think you are in for a rough ride.

Wish I had better advice.

Chris

Posted

I'm pretty sure it is Kreem giving the age and what I've been able to learn fron KF. The orginal coating looks to be in good shape, I suspect that I have some pin holes opened up over the years. If the orginal coating is intact wonder if you need to remove it all before you reslosh with the same material

?

Posted

thanks,

EG

Take a look at phenol novolac epoxy at this site. It will make your tanks ethanol proof also. Give these folks a call they can help you to decide which way to go. One heads up with this stuff the mix is critical so follow the direction to a "T" I used it on my tanks before installing them. Most "slosh" type sealers will end up coming off in time. This is the same epoxy used to coat chemical tanks. Take some time doing some research be fore you decide. There is my 2 cents worth.

Paul S in Wyoming

http://www.caswellplating.com/restoration-aids/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html