Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Poly Brush

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Well the fabric is complete on my MK IV and I am about ready to do the spray coats of Poly Brush (brush coats complete) and I am wonder about how much to order.

Thanks,

Paul

Posted (edited)

NONE! IMO, the Stewart water-based poly system is a whole lot safer to use. Just finished a J3 refabrick and the paint looks great! If you have concerns about spraying Stewart over your brushed, then call Stewart and talk to them. I was told it was OK, although we used the complete S-system.

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

NONE! IMO, the Stewart water-based poly system is a whole lot safer to use. Just finished a J3 refabrick and the paint looks great! If you have concerns about spraying Stewart over your brushed, then call Stewart and talk to them. I was told it was OK, although we used the complete S-system.

Ed in MO

Thanks Ed but I have the Poly Tone ordered and would not be comfortable changing horses mid stride.

Paul

Posted

Thanks Ed but I have the Poly Tone ordered and would not be comfortable changing horses mid stride.

Paul

One gallon did my plane, but I went pretty light on the brush. Remember, its a fabric covered plane, the weave should show when you are done with the top coat. If you put on enough chemicals to fill the entire weave and give you an ultra smooth finish, you just added alot of weight, and set you self up for some serious ring worms in the future.

:BC:

Posted

One gallon did my plane, but I went pretty light on the brush. Remember, its a fabric covered plane, the weave should show when you are done with the top coat. If you put on enough chemicals to fill the entire weave and give you an ultra smooth finish, you just added alot of weight, and set you self up for some serious ring worms in the future.

:BC:

thanks, I am shooting for at light plane.

Posted

Biggest thing to remember is to adjust your gun before spraying the poly brush. I learned that the hard way last fall while spraying a wing i recovered. If you search its on here somewhere. The poly brush is very easy to put on too thick. Adjust your spray way down in comparison to what you'll need for the silver and tone. Like mentioned before, if you put it on too thick you'll be cracking within a year or two. I put a cross coat of poly on by brush and then sprayed a coat on to smooth it out. Then be sure sure to put on a good couple of silver cross coats to keep that pesky sun out.