Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Muffler and cowl clearance

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I would like to know how close the 582 muffler comes to the front lower lip of the lower rear cowl section on a model 4 Kitfox?

Does the muffler have 1/2,3/4 or 1 inch of wiggle room on the supporting springs before it would hit the cowl?

I realize that this a vague question so I will explain.

It has been 5 years since my Model 1 Kitfox has flown with a Rotax 532 and I had forgotten that the 532 exhaust had very little clearance with the cowl.

To gain more clearance I dented the muffler on the back side where it contacts the V shaped part of the motor mount where it goes to the lower center motor mount bolt to allow the muffler to swing aft to allow maybe a 1/4 inch of cowl clearance.

I am repowering the Kitfox with a 582 and using the 532 exhaust and do not care that the muffler contacts the cowl in places.

I would like to use the poor mans muffler wrap for cabin heat as Leni described but there is no spare room with the Model 1 cowl.

I would like to know if the Model 4 cowl allows for more room when 582's and the Kitfox exhaust is used.

Thanks Herman

Posted

It is my understanding that the KF Model 2-4 (4)-pc round cowl and 582 engine mount dimensions are the same. If so, here's a few pics of the clearance on my KF-3 w/ 582 that might help.

post-53-13218106036375_thumb.jpg

post-53-13218106146172_thumb.jpg

post-53-13218117808189_thumb.jpg

Posted

Dholly

Thanks for the photos showing the muffler to cowl and firewall clearance on a Model 3.

My Model 1 cowl does not allow any where near the clearance that your photos show.

I am using the Model 4 engine mount and the muffler fits the same as when I was using the Model 1 mount.

Does anyone have a Model 1 or 2 Kitfox with a 532/582?

Is the muffler clearance similar to as shown by Dholly?

Thanks Herman

Posted

Dholly

Thanks for the photos showing the muffler to cowl and firewall clearance on a Model 3.

My Model 1 cowl does not allow any where near the clearance that your photos show.

I am using the Model 4 engine mount and the muffler fits the same as when I was using the Model 1 mount.

Does anyone have a Model 1 or 2 Kitfox with a 532/582?

Is the muffler clearance similar to as shown by Dholly?

Thanks Herman

I will go over and try to get pics of Bobs model I tomorrow, or another buddies model II... they look the same to me.

:BC: