Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I am committed

4 posts in this topic

Posted

The Jabiru is history and a 582 is being installed.

The plan is to get baseline performance with the 582 in my Model 2 Kitfox and then go to a Rotax Rick 670.

I am looking forward to swinging more and a slower prop again.

I flew my previous 2 stroke (532) for 450 successful hours on Husqavarna 50-1 chainsaw oil the same oil I have used in many dirt bikes for

15 yeasr.

I am nervous about the 100-1 Amsoil ratio that some of you have been successful with.

Rotax Rick suggests 40-1 Amsoil.

Rotax Joe insists on 100-1 Amsoil and the 800 hours his 582's are getting.

I would appreciate any feedback on premix oils and ratios and the use of 10 percent alcohol car gas.

Thanks Herman

Posted

The Jabiru is history and a 582 is being installed.

The plan is to get baseline performance with the 582 in my Model 2 Kitfox and then go to a Rotax Rick 670.

I am looking forward to swinging more and a slower prop again.

I flew my previous 2 stroke (532) for 450 successful hours on Husqavarna 50-1 chainsaw oil the same oil I have used in many dirt bikes for

15 yeasr.

I am nervous about the 100-1 Amsoil ratio that some of you have been successful with.

Rotax Rick suggests 40-1 Amsoil.

Rotax Joe insists on 100-1 Amsoil and the 800 hours his 582's are getting.

I would appreciate any feedback on premix oils and ratios and the use of 10 percent alcohol car gas.

Thanks Herman

I run the Citgo Sean and Snow 2 stroke oil in my plane, boat and snomachine. I buy bulk at 10-12 bucks a gallon. I have found it to be very clean burning and have had no issues in the 6 yrs I have used it. We beat the crap out of the snowmachines and make very long, wide open long runs on the various rivers etc when we are in full on race mode. This was also the oil supplied to all the racers in the "Irondog" snowmachine race (worlds longest toughest meanest race). I run it at 50:1.

I have not bought into or tried the amsoil but I know alot of people do. Some have great results, some not so great.

Unless you have upgraded the wing tanks in the KF II, the ethanol WILL eat your tanks up in no time at all. The tanks get soft and mushy, and then your filters, pump and carb get clogged up with nasty goop and your pilot cooling fan stops turning. If you are planning on running ehtanol, your best bet it to either buy new tanks made with the new resin that ethanol wont eat, or drop in a set of the poly tanks from wingtanks.com.

A KF II, built light, with a 582 2.62 and a 3 blade 72" IVO is a pretty damn impressive machine! That is the combo on the KF videos I have posted on youtube (the one of full lotus / kitfox landing in the 1.5" deep mud hole that is 256' long). That plane was my brothers and I was just out having fun with it. On wheels, she was an AWESOME performer. Hopefully, it will be back in the air in the next few weeks as akflyerbob is rebuilding the wings after my other buddy who bought it had a lil uhoh with it.. That plane with the 670 should be a RIOT!

Just my .02

:BC:

Posted

I will go on line to find Citgo Sea and snow.

Are most 582's being flown with premix or oil injection.

I have hesitated using oil injection due to another potential thing to fail.

I assume all modern snowmobiles are oil injection.

Is it a synthetic or mineral or combination.

I had always been led to believe that Amsoil was the last word in oil so I am surprized to hear that some have had issues with it.

I have 2 Ivo props to try with the 582.

A Ivo 3 blade 68" ultralite that I flew for years with a 532 or

a Ivo 3 blade 72" ultralight course pitch (has plus sign on each blade) that came with the 582.

The previous owner flew this prop as a 2 blade saying that 3 blade was too much prop.

Do you have any experience with this prop?

Apparently it can not be pitched fine enough to fly as a 3 blade.

Thanks for the ethanol warning and Kitfox tanks.

I believe I switched to the Jabiru about the time Alcohol came to Oregon car gas.

I used Avgas with the Jabiru.

You must be using Avgas, Boat fuel or replaced tanks.

My Kitfox has 9 gallon plastic cowl tank and one 6 gallon fiberglass wing tank.

Do you know if the plastic cowl tanks are affected by ethanol.

I was told by Ivo that the IFAdjust system that came with the 72" prop is out of date and for $340. it can be updated to lastest .

Were you the one that has had 3 failures with your Ivo IFA due to trying to take pitch out of a course pitch prop.

The walnut sized electric motor has failed on the prop I have and Ivo said there is not a replacement.

I would appreciate any Ivo IFA advice you might have.

Thanks Herman

Posted

I will go on line to find Citgo Sea and snow.

Are most 582's being flown with premix or oil injection.

I have hesitated using oil injection due to another potential thing to fail.

I assume all modern snowmobiles are oil injection.

Is it a synthetic or mineral or combination.

I had always been led to believe that Amsoil was the last word in oil so I am surprized to hear that some have had issues with it.

I have 2 Ivo props to try with the 582.

A Ivo 3 blade 68" ultralite that I flew for years with a 532 or

a Ivo 3 blade 72" ultralight course pitch (has plus sign on each blade) that came with the 582.

The previous owner flew this prop as a 2 blade saying that 3 blade was too much prop.

Do you have any experience with this prop?

Apparently it can not be pitched fine enough to fly as a 3 blade.

Thanks for the ethanol warning and Kitfox tanks.

I believe I switched to the Jabiru about the time Alcohol came to Oregon car gas.

I used Avgas with the Jabiru.

You must be using Avgas, Boat fuel or replaced tanks.

My Kitfox has 9 gallon plastic cowl tank and one 6 gallon fiberglass wing tank.

Do you know if the plastic cowl tanks are affected by ethanol.

I was told by Ivo that the IFAdjust system that came with the 72" prop is out of date and for $340. it can be updated to lastest .

Were you the one that has had 3 failures with your Ivo IFA due to trying to take pitch out of a course pitch prop.

The walnut sized electric motor has failed on the prop I have and Ivo said there is not a replacement.

I would appreciate any Ivo IFA advice you might have.

Thanks Herman

You can use the 72" course, but only if you use the ground adjustable hub so you can flatten it out enough.

Yes, we burned up 3 of the motors due to the TQ needed to flatten out those high pitch blades. Since we have swapped to the regular pitch blades we have not had any issues.

I am running regular pump gas in mine, but we do not have ANY ethanol in our fuel up here. One of the few big perks of living in this fine state smilielol.gif

Yes all modern snowmobiles are oil injected. I think they have been since the mid 80's Failure rates are VERY low. If you run a straight 50:1 premix, then at IDLE you are WAY rich. With oil injection it is closer to 70:1 at idle. I played with my pump setting untill I got the right plug color and oil consumption.

Some people SWEAR by the amsoil. If you have it readily available and it makes you feel good then use it! I just hated running the Arctic cat oil in my snow machines at 40 bucks a gallon, when in a typical winter I will use 25-30 gallons of it, not to mention, the Arctic Cat APV oil gums up the power valves BAD. I was turned on to this oil by a buddy (a 5 time irondog champ) who swore by it. The Sea and Snow is a semi synthetic and it burns VERY clean. I have not had to clean my power valves since I switched to this oil. I used to have to clean them every 4-500 miles. I have put on over 5000 miles on this sled without ever cleaning them, just pulled them out and looked them over and put them back in.

The Nose tank should be good to go, but make sure all your gas lines are RATED for the piss poor use of an adult beverage now turned car gas. (no I am not bitter that they are really messing with our planes, our safety and our future by making us use ethanol). By "ours" I mean GA pilots in general cause we dont gotta worry bout that stuff up here!

One thing to think about with ethanol. We had some MAJOR issues with the factory fuel mapping on our fuel injected snowmachines. They were slobbering rich and would not run for crap. It took us awhile (we had to fly the head guy for the arctic cat 1000 fuel mapping up and get him to ride with us in the mountains so he could see for himself what was going on). Turned out that due to the crappy ethanol fuel that is sold down south, they have to run the machines 25-30% richer to achive the same power levels, so they had to come up with a factory fuel map for the sleds sold up here. That was a fun few days riding fresh mountain powder with the factory guys!

My point of all that is, make sure you know what is going in your tanks. If its ethanol, you may have to go up a jet size or two to get the most POWER out of that engine. But if you end up getting some fuel that is not laced with moonshine, you will then be very rich. I keep a few different main jets in my flight tool bag anyway so I am always prepared! (no I was never a boy scout, but I did eat a brownie once smilielol.gif )

BC.gif