Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Starting over

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I had great results flying my Model 1 Kitfox (485 pounds empty) for 12 years with a 532, 2.58 A box and Ivo 3 blade ultralite ground adjust prop.

I plan to get a 582 Blue Head with C-box and use a Ivo prop with inflight adjust.

I could go with a 2.62 box and use my current Ivo and add inflight adjust.

I am considering the 3.47 box and a 2 blade medium Ivo with inflght adjust.

I am looking for the best shortfield/ climb performance and possibly regain some criuse with the inflight adjust prop. if needed.

I would appreciate advice on what combination this forum suggests or has experience with.

Thanks Herman Oregon 541 404 6464

Posted

I had great results flying my Model 1 Kitfox (485 pounds empty) for 12 years with a 532, 2.58 A box and Ivo 3 blade ultralite ground adjust prop.

I plan to get a 582 Blue Head with C-box and use a Ivo prop with inflight adjust.

I could go with a 2.62 box and use my current Ivo and add inflight adjust.

I am considering the 3.47 box and a 2 blade medium Ivo with inflght adjust.

I am looking for the best shortfield/ climb performance and possibly regain some criuse with the inflight adjust prop. if needed.

I would appreciate advice on what combination this forum suggests or has experience with.

Thanks Herman Oregon 541 404 6464

I played around with the 68 and 72" ivo IFA ultralight on mine with 2.62 and 3:1. I settled on the 3:1 and the 72: 3 blade. I know IVO recommends against the 3 blade with 3:1 but I have had almost 200 trouble free hours with it and have not cracked any tapes at the root of the blades. I did tests on wheels, floats and ski's and like the 3:1 the best for take off and climb!

:BC:

Posted

AKflyer

I was hoping for a response based on experience and you have plenty.

Ivo has been suggesting I go with the 3.0 and the 2 blade medium or the 3.47 and 3 blade Medium.

The 3.47 and 3 blade medium seem to be too much.

I would like to avoid the added weight of the mediums and also cost.

Ivo also told me that the ultralites come in course and fine pitch if I understood correctly.

I assume you have the course ultralite if using a 3.0 box.

I am considering going with the 2 blade medium and 3.0 c-box for hopefully best climb and cruise

Do you have any opinions or experience with the 2 blade medium with a 3.0 box?

Thanks herman

Posted

AKflyer

I was hoping for a response based on experience and you have plenty.

Ivo has been suggesting I go with the 3.0 and the 2 blade medium or the 3.47 and 3 blade Medium.

The 3.47 and 3 blade medium seem to be too much.

I would like to avoid the added weight of the mediums and also cost.

Ivo also told me that the ultralites come in course and fine pitch if I understood correctly.

I assume you have the course ultralite if using a 3.0 box.

I am considering going with the 2 blade medium and 3.0 c-box for hopefully best climb and cruise

Do you have any opinions or experience with the 2 blade medium with a 3.0 box?

Thanks herman

No experience with the medium prop. I was running the high pitch blades, but with the IFA you dont want them. I burned up 4 motors in the IFA drive till I figured out that with the high pitch blades you had to flatten them out ALOT to get the RPM up where it needed to be. The 3 blade, 72" normal pitch IFA works great with the 3:1 gears.

Posted

AKFlyer

I called Ivo today to ask why users are complaining that the IFA motors are short lived.

Ivo did not admit premature failure of their IFA motors but your experience makes sense and thanks for bringing it up since I plan to go IFA.

The Ivo medium IFA systems use the same motor so no advantage there.

I have a Ivo 3 blade, 68" lite ground adjust that I used 12 years on a 532 in this Kitfox.

What C-box ratios on a 582 with IFA do you feel would work well or should I get a 72" lite like you have?

Thanks for helping me out.

Herman

Posted

AKFlyer

I called Ivo today to ask why users are complaining that the IFA motors are short lived.

Ivo did not admit premature failure of their IFA motors but your experience makes sense and thanks for bringing it up since I plan to go IFA.

The Ivo medium IFA systems use the same motor so no advantage there.

I have a Ivo 3 blade, 68" lite ground adjust that I used 12 years on a 532 in this Kitfox.

What C-box ratios on a 582 with IFA do you feel would work well or should I get a 72" lite like you have?

Thanks for helping me out.

Herman

the 68" use the 2.62.

I did not realize how much torque the little motor had to put out till I burned it up and swapped back to the ground adjust hub till the new motor came in when I was using the high pitch blades. I had to really crank on it to get the blades flat enough to get the RPM up.. I ran the 2.62 gears and the 3 blade 68" on a KF model II and an Avid MK IV and really liked it! The MK IV was an extended speed wing and we swapped from a GSC 3 blade to the IVO and it was MUCH better all around performance!

I would not hesitate to use the 68" that you already have and just get the inflight adjust for it.

Posted

AKFlyer

Thanks again for sharing your experience and taking time to help me out.

Herman

Posted

Herman there's a Zero Time Rebuilt 582 with a 3:1 C box on Barnstormers for $2500 right now.

Posted

Joey

Thanks for bringing the 582 to my attention.

I placed an ad on barnstormers last Sunday to sell my Jabiru and spent most of the week dealing with the interest.

I had 2 serious offers and will know tommorrow if it sold.

If so I will most likely order a "Rotax Rick" 670.

I have made contact with 2 of Ricks 670 customers and both were very pleased.

As you and I talked the exhaust is an issue with the 670 and I learned from these 670 owners what is working for them.

Basically they are using the 618 exhaust.

One of them went from the 582 to 618 exhaust and said the power difference was worth a lot of extra prop pitch.

I have already removed the Jabiru so that makes me commited to a 2 Stroke and the only good reason is Idaho Backcountry.

And I have you and your Avid to blame for this.

I will keep you posted.

Can somebody inform me about makeing donations to Barnstormers if there free ads are successful in making a sale.

The process and proper dollar amount is not clear to me and I prefer to pay by check.

Herman