Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Better braking

17 posts in this topic

Posted

The next improvement I would like to make is my brakes. I am using the MC5 master cylinders now. Didn't somebody make an improved pedal for the MC5? Right now I cannot hold my airplane at 4000rpms for the run up.

Posted

I have the MC5 masters in my Kitfox. The brakes (Matco) on my bungee gear were crap at the absolute best. When I installed the Grove gear, it had grove aircraft wheels and brakes already installed. Without changing the masters, my airplane now has brakes that could nose it over if I were to stomp on them hard. A night and day difference.

I truly believe that my Matco masters are fine, as is the geometry of the peddles (early Kitfox "C" style). The calipers and their inside mounting is the problem, IMO.

This is, of course, the ATV wheels and brakes on a Kitfox. I don't know what you have on your Bandit, Mark.

post-36-13159715071793_thumb.jpg

Posted

The next improvement I would like to make is my brakes. I am using the MC5 master cylinders now. Didn't somebody make an improved pedal for the MC5? Right now I cannot hold my airplane at 4000rpms for the run up.

Read Joey's thread on his conversion from gocart to matco brakes.Full matco components,2 piece brake pedals(my design)Loads of stopping power.

Posted

Then I would need to buy the MC4's, and the new pedals? Could I use the MC4's on my old pedals and drill the mounting hole closer to my brake pedal?

Posted

Then I would need to buy the MC4's, and the new pedals? Could I use the MC4's on my old pedals and drill the mounting hole closer to my brake pedal?

Checked Matco website, which MC4 do I order?

Posted

Bandit

You want the MC-4D's.

Posted

Checked Matco website, which MC4 do I order?

MC4D, the shortest ones they have.

Do your brakes have the single tab on the bottom of the rudder bar, or two tabs (one on each side of each master)?

Posted

I have 2 tabs on the bottom of the rudder bar wich the bottom of the master cylinder is bolted to.

Posted

You need the added rigidity of the 2 piece pedal if you are going to get the full benefit of the mc-4d ram swap.Read Joey's thread corner to corner...when it is done right the brakes are really strong/effective.

Posted

You need the added rigidity of the 2 piece pedal if you are going to get the full benefit of the mc-4d ram swap.Read Joey's thread corner to corner...when it is done right the brakes are really strong/effective.

Read it, who makes the brake pedal?

Posted

Read it, who makes the brake pedal?

Me. :)Currently Leni Joey Jack and myself(+others) are running these pedals.

Posted

And Leni really like the pedals, even though he is still using the MC1 masters!!! I have to weld new tabs on my rudder bar for the MC4D masters, and since I am on floats it has not been real high on my list of priorities.

They did make a big difference in the braking power with just the MC1 masters (I had to cut the piston rod down and thread it to use the new pedals).

Posted

What are the details on the pedals?

Posted

What are the details on the pedals?

What do you want to know? :dunno: Build them in my spare time. takes around 10 hrs to complete a set.Lots of tedious lathe work.took about 200 hrs to design and develop the tooling to make it.Assemble/dissamemble with 2 screws.The last testing I did shows around a 50 percent improvement in line psi with the 2 piece pedal over leaving the pedal open ended.

Posted

What do you want to know? dunno.gif Build them in my spare time. takes around 10 hrs to complete a set.Lots of tedious lathe work.took about 200 hrs to design and develop the tooling to make it.Assemble/dissamemble with 2 screws.The last testing I did shows around a 50 percent improvement in line psi with the 2 piece pedal over leaving the pedal open ended.

I am leaving for winter months and will return home in April. I would like to know the price and ordering info. Off line at rjs30359@yahoo.com. or Tel. 315-868-6131. Thanks Russ.

Posted

What do you want to know? :dunno: Build them in my spare time. takes around 10 hrs to complete a set.Lots of tedious lathe work.took about 200 hrs to design and develop the tooling to make it.Assemble/dissamemble with 2 screws.The last testing I did shows around a 50 percent improvement in line psi with the 2 piece pedal over leaving the pedal open ended.

What do you supply and what do you have to get for it?

Posted

What do you supply and what do you have to get for it?

Look in Joey's thread here for a pic of the unpainted pedals.

You get the left and right brake pedals for the left/pilots side and 4 bushings to insert into the ends of the rudder pedal to take out slack.If you want a price email me at lazysredangus@sasktel.net

thanks Mike