Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

avid model A

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi, all just picked up an avid model A! year unknown! i am a long time aircraft builder but have no experience with avid''s. did build a ridge runner 3 so very similar. can anyone tell me the difference between an A,B,C, mark 4 ? this airplane is going to need a total restore,just wonder if is worth upgrading to one of the newer models if possible? thank's.  Billl

Posted

A model is 36" wide at the top of the seat.  Others are 39 1/2" wide.  Gross weight is much less as well.  Originally had a welded in motor mount, not bolted on like later models.  

Posted

thanks for the reply jim. a previous owner  already cut off the motor mount and modified the firewall for a VW. (mistake) so will fix that. i was wondering about fuselage length are the B,C, and mark 4 longer? also i'm missing right lift strut so will have to make one unless i can find one for sale. the one i have is 3/4 inch if i go to 7/8 inch will that increase my g.w.? also i have the 30 foot wingon my model A. my hangar door is 30 foot! would removing the wing tip and drop the span to 27 feet be a bad idea? my ridge runner  3 had a 26 foot span with a rotax 503 and performed great. thanks jim

Posted

thanks so much jim i really appreicate it. hope you feel better soon. there's no rush just looking at options now.  won't start work on it until may. am just finnishing up my ultralight and then begin test flights. the diagrams help. thanks