582 stutters on bumpy airstrip

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey Guys,

Got the Old  Avid Diva out flying after a looonnngggg hiatus. All good, however when the girl hits a bump on the field, when the throttle is above half throttle, the engine stumbles/stutters drops rpm’s. Once the field smooths out, the engine runs fine. Runs great all other flight conditions. Any ideas what’s going on? Thanks, Bryce 

Posted

Guess I would check the floats and fuel level in the float bowl,  and also look at all the ignition wires incase one of them has a crack of something and the bump/vibration seperates things for a second.  Just a bit of a guess on both accounts though.  

1 person likes this

Posted

As Jim had said start looking over the fuel and electrical. That it sputters with dual ignition on rough ground would imply its not ignition.... but you obviously had the plugs out and the caps off if it has been sitting that long. 

Posted

Thanks guys.  Gonna do the run up then cut off and check the bowl level test. Never done that one before. Bryce 

Posted

The Bing floats shouldn't weigh over 7 grams for the pair.  If they are to heavy, your fuel level will rise in the float bowl.  

1 person likes this

Posted

Jim,

One pair is 10g and the other 11g. I got Fat floats:lmao:.  Any recommendations on who to get them from? Thanks, Bryce

Posted

Jim,

One pair is 10g and the other 11g. I got Fat floats:lmao:.  Any recommendations on who to get them from? Thanks, Bryce

Posted (edited)

That is very heavy.  Would almost wonder about your scales.  Rotax says one should wipe the floats off, and let them air dry for a couple of minutes before you weigh them.  Bing says it sells only for motorcycles on their website, but I've bought from them and used these floats in my 912.  I've always been tempted to try the white single piece floats they show, my type 94 on my Jabiur engine had that float from Jabiru, and it worked fine for 20 years.  At least it looked to be the same looking at the pictures.  Like I said, I've been tempted to try, but haven't.  JImChuk

PS,  Leading edge airfoils, and Lockwood aviation sell them as well for more money I believe.  

Bing Carburetor Home - BING AGENCY INTERNATIONALSOLE DISTRIBUTORFOR BING CARBURETORS AND THROTTLE BODIES IN THE US, CANADA,SOUTH AMERICA AND AUSTRALIA

861 189
$100.98

PS PS  got curious, and looked on Leading edge, and they were actually cheaper.  861 189

Edited by 1avidflyer
2 people like this

Posted

Thanks Jim! Got some on the way! Bryce 

Posted (edited)

So I looked at the link Jim posted about the bing distributor web sight. The carb slides they show are very different from the original items so I am wondering if anyone has a set of these custom fabricated ones and how they work and assemble to the existing carb hardware? They look like fully machined pieces from solid aluminum stock to my eye. 

I was just looking and is this slide even compatible with the carbs our planes are running?it lists the slide as being for 54-1 carbs and I have no idea what model of 54 the 582 has....

Edited by saskavid
1 person likes this

Posted

The type 54 carb in the top of the Bing carb page has two cables coming into the top of the slide it looks like.  That of course is not the carb used on the 582.  Lot of the other parts shown are interchangeable though.  And actually the 912 type 64 and the 582 type 54 carbs use the same floats.