Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

avid flyer C with 912

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi

I know I'm going to ask a question that has been asked often, but I haven't found a clear answer yet.
is there a way to install a rotax 912 on an Avid flyer C without major modification

thank you for your answers

Posted

There is no clear answer. Depending on experience and knowledge, a difficult task for one builder may be easy peasy to another. I think you need to define what 'major modification' means to you first.

Posted

Most likely the hardest part would be finding a 912 motor mount.  Not many of them floating around.  Kitfox mounts are not the same.  10 or more lbs of weight in the tail to offset the extra weight on the nose from the heavier engine.   And ditto on what Doug said...  JImChuk

Posted

when I talk about major modification, it's modifying the wings or the fuselage

Posted

for the engine mount I have already done it for another model, so I should be able to do it
it is more structural level and CG

Posted

The seat truss was a weak point on the Avids, and early Kitfoxes for that matter.  If it was me, I would infill the triangles in the seat truss with .040" thick steel.  Under the doors may not hurt either.  This is what I did on my Kitfox 4 and I think it was a good idea for me.  JImChuk

Photo1368.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes that is a good idea
If you have any other suggestions let me know.
why does nobody finally produce an engine mount for the 912?

Posted

The Avid factory made them, but I suppose it's the old law of supply and demand.  Not much demand, so not much supply.  But I'm guessing that if a small shop made up a jig, they could sell a few pretty easily.