Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flying from home in class d airspace?

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a pasture behind the house id like to fly out of its 350 by 1300. Problem is center of the field is .9 miles from reference point of KLMT. Under class D airspace. Field is controlled 7am to 5pm, the tower is a training spot. Anybody have experience or ideas before talking to the tower guys? Red dot is the field.

Screenshot_20220805-095958.png

Posted (edited)

You are almost within airport boundaries! Do you have a good VHF radio? Probably essential.

I'd stop by and see the tower folks in person. bring this photo, and see if they are willing to have you call, and integrate you into their traffic. It's done all the time elsewhere. My guess is your standard request could be to call prior to takeoff, get a clearance then  climb into their airspace heading south-east (to avoid the 7/25 and 14/32 runway traffic) , and depart the Class D below 500 feet until 5 miles south east.

Without a radio, my guess is they will be very reluctant to permit you to operate.

runway.jpg

Edited by nlappos

Posted

Thanks man that picture is alot better than mine. Thats lind of what I was thinking and after a few rounds the tower instructors will have it figures out. Radios and follow normal trafic pattern procedure hopfully its not a problem. Saves alot of time and money being able to keep these things at home.

1 person likes this

Posted

Absolutely, having an airplane at home is like a gift from heaven, I bet!! 

I also bet the tower will work with you, after they try you out to see if you can simply follow their instructions.

Good luck!!