Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wanted - Axle/spindles

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Anybody have 3/4 axles Grove Axles taking up precious space in their parts bin they'd like to turn into cash?  
I have Douglas wheels and Matco brakes and need the axles to mate up to the Grove gear.

Posted

I'm not sure what there are. They are 5 3/4 overall, and the axle is 3/4 by just shy of 3 inches including the threaded end. I suspect they were early KitfoxMVC-021S.thumb.JPG.968339c49709d640b6e46MVC-020S.thumb.JPG.e014955413ba545283abd

MVC-019S.JPG

Posted

I think those axels are for the Matco wheels.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

the p/n is the definitive answer if on them.  5011 (kf/douglas), 5012 Matco.

I've a pair of Douglas and a pair of 6" Azusa wheels.  If I have to I'll source Matco wheels and offer up the others.  I'm inclined to go with Matco because they appear easier to set up.  The only advantage I see w/the Douglas is the plethora of cheap tires available for them.  I do like the 21x6 Desser Turf tires a lot.  I think a 6" Matco is my preference ultimately as I seek to convert from mechanical brakes to the Matco's hyd I have.  

Edited by allonsye

Posted

From looking at the Matco and Grove sites, these are almost certainly Grove 5012s for the Matco WL60 series wheels. The dimensions mirror the 2.52 bearing spacing used on the Matco.

If you're looking to use Matco brakes on the Avid, you need to pay close attention to the geometry on the rudder pedal end. The Avid geometry is incorrect for Matco, and that makes the brakes marginal.If you want these, let me know.

Bob

Posted (edited)

OK Bob. Thanks.

I'm trying to convert from the Azusa mechanical setup on my Jab pwrd B which is even more marginal than the Matco/Avid setup I had in a C HH.  My pedals need to be welded up with a connection for the Matco's as well as attachments to install said master.

I've acquired Douglas wheels, and Matco Cals and mstrs.

Edited by allonsye
content

Posted

Yea, in order to convert from cable to hydraulic, and do it right, you would have to modify the rudder pedals, which involves taking the bottom off the fuselage. I can think of a number of ways to do it, but none of them easy. Not real hard, but just a pain in the poop. You would need  MC4 series master cylinders without reservoirs, and put a reservoir on the firewall. There is not enough room on the rudder pedals to use a MC 5 master cylinder with a reservoir and still get the geometry right. You need a set of pedals off a late Kitfox, but they might not be the right width.

Sounds like a winter project.

I'll stuff those axles back in the box. They're not eating anything.  They're here if you need them.

Bob

Posted

Yeah, I'm afraid you're absolutely correct Bob. Those MC1's take up too much space between the firewall and pedals. I should have known better given that set up didn't work so well with my C HH that I used to have.

Thanks,

Paul

Posted

The master cylinders do take up a bunch of room if they are mounted like Avid does, because they then sit about 3/4" higher.  If they are mounted on the floor boards like Kitfox does, then they don't take up that much room because they sit lower.  

1 person likes this