Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Old bird, older engine...

4 posts in this topic

Posted

The bird is coming home this week. Either by trailer or by air. It hasn't flown for a couple years and only put probably 10 hours on it in the past 8 years.

It has the older 582 grey head in it and i'm wondering if i shouldn't by all new seals for it and put them in or if i should run it up and see where the EGT temps are sitting and such and keep an eye out for leaks.

I haven't owned a 582 or any aircraft 2 stroke before and wondering how much trouble i might be getting in to. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Posted

The bird is coming home this week. Either by trailer or by air. It hasn't flown for a couple years and only put probably 10 hours on it in the past 8 years.

It has the older 582 grey head in it and i'm wondering if i shouldn't by all new seals for it and put them in or if i should run it up and see where the EGT temps are sitting and such and keep an eye out for leaks.

I haven't owned a 582 or any aircraft 2 stroke before and wondering how much trouble i might be getting in to. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

WITHOUT A DOUBT pull it down and put new seals in it. Your plane will thank you for it! My plane fired right up after sitting under a tarp for 6 yrs ( it had 121 hrs on it when I got it), but I still put in a new crank, pistons and rings, RV shaft etc. I figured what the hell, I am rebuilding the plane from the ground up, may as well zero time the engine too!

In your case, I would look at the crank bearing real close and make sure there is no rust starting on them. A new seal kit is CHEAP insurance... OK so with any engine there is NO insurance, but it will damn sure stack the deck in your favor!

:BC:

Posted

Thanks, I just got her home yesterday and going to give her a full annual before she gets in the air. Theres some cosmetic work, well lots of cosmetic work to do but i probably won't get carried away as she'll be covered in mud most the time where i plan on taking her. :)

Here's a picture of FBOJ on the trialer right before i tucked her in the garage for some TLC time.

post-263-13032257561739_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

I had a couple free hours today and after extending one wing in the garage and sitting in my Avid for 10 minutes making airplane noises i heard this drip, drip, drip. Hmmm, so i hop out and find a puddle of fuel on the floor. Reached in an turned the fuel off and then took the cowls off and noticed it was leaking out the air filter of the one carbs. I do remember touching the primer and think i must have cause some sort of siphoning action by acccident. I then decided it was time to start going through her and seeing what needs to be done to fly. Right away i noticed the Rotary valve tank was bone dry and one of the carb boots was cracked half way around. I'm sure glad the old owners didn't try to fly it over to me and really glad i didn't give it just the once over and try to fly it home. Now off to search the internet for parts.

Darcy

Edited by TheDeltaFox