my new power plant

37 posts in this topic

Posted

I just love the way this outfit operates. Over on BCP as you know Leni some of these guys are paying $15,000 for propellors, What in the heck do a pair of 36" AKbushwheels cost? The whole maryann I mean, like with double puck Clevelands and new wheels? Or how about $30,000 to put IO-520 cylinders on your O-470. Sheesh, you add all that up and pretty soon you're talking about real money!

I don't think you'll have any problem getting #450 prop yank out of 140hp. I've seen number just under #500 for a Continental O-200 with a warp drive.

Looking forward to seeing this thing go

Dan

Posted

Any updates?  I'm very interested in this.

Posted

it is coming back to life.  I have a good line on a machinist here on the forum who is willing to make the adapter plate to bolt the engine to the gear box.  I have the drawings made and the material cut to rough shape and ready for machining when I get home... I am certain it will take some growing pains and its a good thing I have several stock exhaust systems to play with and butcher to make the exhaust fit inside the cowling yet still retain the stock power, smoothness and lack of head ache / peakiness.  It will not be an over night install, but I am moving forwards with it!  If it pans out, my only issue (ok others issues) is that Suzuki is no longer making the engines for Arctic Cat.  I hope that when they start building them inhouse this year, they dont screw them up and turn a perfect engine into a POS... the good news is you can buy an older (06-09) engine and rebuild it pretty cheaply with new parts.

:BC:

Posted

How much do you estimate the full weight at?  Along with continuous power?

Posted

at 5800 it should be around 97 HP.  I have personally ran this engine multiple at WOT 7800-8000 RPM multiple for 80 miles minus backing off for a few seconds on some of the sharper corners, year after year, mile after mile with 0 issues.  Hence me settling on this engine to try the conversion.  The installed weight will be right about 20 pounds more than the 582 mainly due to the exhaust.  I figure if I run this engine like the 582, I should be right about 112 hp on take off, with some in reserve should I really need to clear those trees..

hopefully I will have it running in the next couple of months.

Posted

Im looking forward to making that part.  Looking at the dyno test, I'm wondering if the bottom end will be too sensitive to give us the slow flight characteristics we like.  Also wondering, can the C box take the hp?

Posted

I think it can.  They are using the C box running ALOT more power on airboats.  I know of some guys running 150+ HP snogo engines with the C box on airboats.  Only time will tell and I will be the guy rolling the dice to see how she hold up before I release too much of the info on how to install and mods to make.

If it behaves in the airplane anything like it behaves in a sled, this engine is damn near like an electric motor as far as power and linearity.  Most sled engines will hit hard in a power band and run a bit rough either side of it.  Suzuki really had something with this engine with the big crank in terms of a PERFECT running and lasting engine, but the consumers did not like it becasue it does not have the SNAP that the Rotax or Polaris 800 engine.  It would pull smooth all day long, pull the mountains very nice and made the sled a joy to ride, but all the parking lot posers care about is being able to pull the ski's up and ride wheelies... On the arctic cat, that was not easy to do for two reasons.  The engine didnt snap that hard, and the falling rate suspension used just doesnt allow it.  The suspension gives you a much beter ride and keeps the skis down so you can keep on the power all day long going up an mountian and not wheelie over backwards.. Cat got so many complaints on it, that in 2010 they took 4 pounds off the crank.  Essentially they cut all the counter weights off the crank to make it spool up quicker, but that made an engine that rattled and shook and ran like shit so instead of putting the weight back on the crank, they put it on the CLUTCH... WTF??

So, all that being said, I do have high hopes that the 06-09 engines will be the ticket for us two stroke guys that want more power and longevity.

I have the plates cut to rough shape, I will get them to you along with the drawings when I get into town.  I am going to redraw one area of it where it bols to the engine to make sure its a nice tight fit to the nose of the engine.  I cant wait to get this project moving forwards again!

Thanks Dave, see you in a week or so!

Posted

well I got one step closer to getting this dream a reality!  I have the adapter plate in hand and it came out NICE!  thanks Dave!! 

hopefully in the next few months I can get some good forward progress on this one and be able to have it ready for flying come float season!  Once I get the engine mounted I will drill and tap the plate for the gear box.  It is a perfect fit to the engine and the gear box and the flywheel is machined to the perfect taper length to bolt it up to the gear box as well.

post-2-0-73492800-1389489492_thumb.jpg

Posted

Great news Leni - Now, if you can figure out how to make a 4-stroke out of it, I will put my name on the list.

EDMO

Posted

how about I just put a circuit interrupter in the ignition so it will only fire every other stroke.. Not sure what that will do for the take off HP though... :lol:

1 person likes this

Posted

Sure - just add a turbo!  :lol:

ED

Posted

Yet another reason I've spent so much time here since joining..... :siterocks:!!!

Can't wait to see more about this install and see what performance you'll get out of it.