Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

leading edge

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm getting close to finishing up my KF model III rebuild. In the process of rebuilding the wings I added the molded leading edge available from Kitfox.(same one used on the model IV) I was wondering if anyone has any experience with how the earlier wing performs with the cleaner leading edge.

Also anyone have any ideas why the later Avids with the undercambered airfoils have a higher VNE the the KF's ? The KF's only changed after the model IV with the new airfoil. The VNE on the model III KF's didnt change from the model II even with the higher gross weights and aileron balancing. Were there additional changes to the Avid that allowed a higher VNE or did the airfoil change ?

thanks,

E.G.

Posted

I'm getting close to finishing up my KF model III rebuild. In the process of rebuilding the wings I added the molded leading edge available from Kitfox.(same one used on the model IV) I was wondering if anyone has any experience with how the earlier wing performs with the cleaner leading edge.

Also anyone have any ideas why the later Avids with the undercambered airfoils have a higher VNE the the KF's ? The KF's only changed after the model IV with the new airfoil. The VNE on the model III KF's didnt change from the model II even with the higher gross weights and aileron balancing. Were there additional changes to the Avid that allowed a higher VNE or did the airfoil change ?

thanks,

E.G.

akflyerbob's has the leading edge on it. I am not sure what differences it makes but his flys AWESOME. I think alot of the VNE change is stitched ribs versus just glued on covering. I think part of the issue was possible fabric separation without the rib stitching.

:BC:

Posted

Much of the VNe numbers for the early Kitfoxes were in regard to the windshield. The thinner windshield material would deform at high speeds...