Rotax 583 Jetting (Not 582!)

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Anybody running a Rotax 583 RAVE (Not 582) on their Avid? Need jetting info for the 583.

My new project has a new 583 RAVE, which the original builder was going to install a TBI on. But because the 2 cycle is so sensitive to lean running, I'm gonna install Bing 54's. The jetting needs to be larger than the 582, but I'm not sure how much to start with. Estimated HP is 80 hp.

Any advice appreciated.

Dave

Posted

Anybody running a Rotax 583 RAVE (Not 582) on their Avid? Need jetting info for the 583.

My new project has a new 583 RAVE, which the original builder was going to install a TBI on. But because the 2 cycle is so sensitive to lean running, I'm gonna install Bing 54's. The jetting needs to be larger than the 582, but I'm not sure how much to start with. Estimated HP is 80 hp.

Any advice appreciated.

Dave

Mikuni Carbs are light years ahead of Bings. Contact Rotax I'm sure you can get some numbers.

Posted

I ran the Mikuni carbs on my 670 rotax and then switched the intake boots and ran the same carbs on my 582 after the 670 bit the dust (I don't think the failure had anything to do with the jetting though). If I remember right I ran a range of main jets between 340's in the summer to 370's in the winter. I generally ran the needle clip in the center but in the coldest part of winter (below 0) would raise it one ring. That might give you a place to start but use your EGT's to determine the correct jets. You will generally find that it will run hottest in a gradual decent with the throttle pulled back and the airspeed driving the prop causing it to run lean, so be sure to watch the EGT's when you throttle back.

Posted

Any advice appreciated.

Dave

I would call Steve at Airscrew performance. He has sold a boat load of 583's for ultralights and should be able to provide you with the correct jetting.

:BC: