Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bush Spring Gear

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Joey, you said you only live about an hour from Highwings, have you ever gone over to look at their gear? I have been in contact with them. I would like to have the spring gear made to the same width and heighth as my existing gear. See no reason to go as wide as theirs. Maybe could have it built a little lighter then and I don't like the looks of the wide gear.

Posted

Joey, you said you only live about an hour from Highwings, have you ever gone over to look at their gear? I have been in contact with them. I would like to have the spring gear made to the same width and heighth as my existing gear. See no reason to go as wide as theirs. Maybe could have it built a little lighter then and I don't like the looks of the wide gear.

The width is what has been keeping me away from it. I love the design and thought of ditching the bungees though so you might be onto something. I've seen it on Mark Ferkin's airplane up in Homedale. He is the other half of Highwing. Who did you talk to..Lowell or Mark? What exactly do you want to know. I am friends with both and can call either to chat anytime. Let me know.

Joey

Posted

Joey,

I have been e-mailing Mark. I would be interested in their grear if it was the same width and height as the Mark IV gear. Don't like the wide grear, no need for that, doesn't look good either. Maybe you could ask them if they could build that type of gear for our Avids.

Mark

Posted

You guys need to talk to Brett at Airdale.

He has just what you are talking about. He's been working on a spring gear setup, but can easily incorperate it into the current gear, maybe even do a "Bungee Elimination Kit".

Posted

You guys need to talk to Brett at Airdale.

He has just what you are talking about. He's been working on a spring gear setup, but can easily incorperate it into the current gear, maybe even do a "Bungee Elimination Kit".

I would really be interested in a "bungee elimination kit" I do like my wide gear though! Twice it has saved my bacon where I know I would have gotten a wing tip at least had I been on the narrow gear.

I am really thinking of changing mine out to 1.25" axles too. I have bent 3 sets of stock 3/4" axles in my plane. It would be easy to cut the 3/4" out and weld on new tubes for the 1.25" axles.

:BC:

Posted

I would really be interested in a "bungee elimination kit" I do like my wide gear though! Twice it has saved my bacon where I know I would have gotten a wing tip at least had I been on the narrow gear.

I am really thinking of changing mine out to 1.25" axles too. I have bent 3 sets of stock 3/4" axles in my plane. It would be easy to cut the 3/4" out and weld on new tubes for the 1.25" axles.

That would be great to get one from Brett, but I have had a tail ski ordered since Oshkosh and still haven't got it.

Posted

That would be great to get one from Brett, but I have had a tail ski ordered since Oshkosh and still haven't got it.

Yikes.. Was yours for a matco tail wheel or the maule style? I ordered one a few weeks ago for the matco style and may end up building my own if it does not show up in the next couple of weeks..

Posted

Guys - I just spoke with Brett. Action is coming soon for both of you... :stirthepot:

Posted

Av8r3400,

Thanks for the help, could use that tail ski now. Would you mention to Brett that I am interested in the spring gear also. How far along is that project coming? My bugees are getting weak.

Posted

Guys - I just spoke with Brett. Action is coming soon for both of you... stirthepot.gif

Hey Larry, you must have a size 12 or better motivator :lol: When you gonna quit your day job and go in full time helping him make parts for us lowlifes :dunno::lmao:

Thanks for the motivational speach. I get home the 28th and am on a tight schedule but would love to try out the new tail ski!

Posted (edited)

Brett's a really good guy, he just gets a little overwhelmed sometimes... We did chat about spring gear setups and the feasibility of some type of "bungee elimination kit".

I've offered to help when ever he needs. Now is my slow time. He has one of the guys from the neighborhood bartering for labor.

(Rich built a real nice Avid mark IV and was going to have it inspected last Saturday. The previous Monday, counter to everyone's advise, he decided to "high speed taxi test" it and as you would expect he ground looped. Folded the left main, twisted the tail, etc, etc. Pretty sad. He was finishing the plane just as he was running out of money...)

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

Thanks, that sounds great. Leni, Brett e-mailed me and said our tailski's should be done next week. He also wants to talk to me about the spring gear tommorrow. Sorry to hear about Rich's plane.

Edited by Bandit

Posted

Brett's a really good guy, he just gets a little overwhelmed sometimes... We did chat about spring gear setups and the feasibility of some type of "bungee elimination kit".

I've offered to help when ever he needs. Now is my slow time. He has one of the guys from the neighborhood bartering for labor.

(Rich built a real nice Avid mark IV and was going to have it inspected last Saturday. The previous Monday, counter to everyone's advise, he decided to "high speed taxi test" it and as you would expect he ground looped. Folded the left main, twisted the tail, etc, etc. Pretty sad. He was finishing the plane just as he was running out of money...)

OH MAN, that SUX on the ground loop! Even the manual advises against high speed taxi tests :lol:

Hope he can get it fixed up in short order.

Thanks, that sounds great. Leni, Brett e-mailed me and said our tailski's should be done next week. He also wants to talk to me about the spring gear tommorrow. Sorry to hear about Rich's plane.

Awesome, I hope to need it around the 3rd or 4th!