Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Engine

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Just got word that my engine is on its way home. Had it completely redone with a couple new improvements and a new gearbox, back to new condition. Might as well have a new engine for a new airframe. Airframe not really new but, stripped, sandblasted, painted and rebuilt with new hardware and replaceable parts. Probably will have more invested in it than I could have bought one for but at least I know what I'll have. But then I'd probably do the same to any aircraft I bought. A new 30 yr old Kitfox model 2, maybe I ain't right in the head!

Posted

Great Allen.  Did Andy rebuild it?He did my 503 and I am very happy.

Posted

Great Allen.  Did Andy rebuild it?He did my 503 and I am very happy.

Yes, his shop did. Don't know if he did personally, probably Cody did. Cody is pretty sharp on engines. They started rebuilding 912's now, also. I had him change the old boat anchor air guide and installed the new carbon fiber one. Saved a few pounds there. Sold the fuel injection system and going back to carbs. It worked great but I prefer carbs since I can look at them and see if something is wrong or worn. Hard to do with a computer controlled system. Probably why I'll never own a 912, outside of the price. My normal altitude doesn't change but maybe 3000' + or - so carbs work good for my flying. I knew the Bing carbs pretty well but this engine uses Delorto carbs. They don't seem too much different from Bing's but parts are cheaper. So a short learning curve is coming.

1 person likes this

Posted

Engine is home. Looks good.

Posted (edited)

Pulled my hirth out of the box yesterday and weighed it for kicks. With gearbox and everything minus the exhaust and prop it was 88 lbs. So should be flyable around 110 lbs or so.

Edited by Allen Sutphin
3 people like this