flaperon to rib attachment

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I recently aquired a 1988 avid iv model C the two outer flaperon attachment points or rib tails are broken. Can I splice new ones in place ? I took MEK and opened up the trailing edge I think I can fab a duplacate and notch the top to fit the cable back in then epoxy. Does this sound right ? and is this a common problem ?

Posted

I recently aquired a 1988 avid iv model C the two outer flaperon attachment points or rib tails are broken. Can I splice new ones in place ? I took MEK and opened up the trailing edge I think I can fab a duplacate and notch the top to fit the cable back in then epoxy. Does this sound right ? and is this a common problem ?

yes sir, pretty common problem. I had to replace all mine. You can get the replacement rib tails from Airdale pretty darn cheap. It is pretty easy to replace them, pretty much the way you are thinking about it. peel the cap strips back, slip the new rib tails in, clamp them in place and glue.

:BC:

Posted

yes sir, pretty common problem. I had to replace all mine. You can get the replacement rib tails from Airdale pretty darn cheap. It is pretty easy to replace them, pretty much the way you are thinking about it. peel the cap strips back, slip the new rib tails in, clamp them in place and glue.

Thank you

Posted

I agree it's not to hard a job. A little hot air and some patient prying will get the old ones off. I replaced the all on my KFIII. Be a good idea time to inspect all the tails and install the aluminum doublers per the service bulletin (you can find it on the Kitfox website) as well. Brett at Airdale has nice replacement tails at a reasonable price.

EG

Posted

I agree it's not to hard a job. A little hot air and some patient prying will get the old ones off. I replaced the all on my KFIII. Be a good idea time to inspect all the tails and install the aluminum doublers per the service bulletin (you can find it on the Kitfox website) as well. Brett at Airdale has nice replacement tails at a reasonable price.

EG

I have mixed emotions on the doublers. I have seen several of them that ended up trapping moisture and the tails rotted (mine was one of them). I just went with lots of sealer and a good coat of paint on mine and so far they are holding up great. If would venture to say that if you are keeping your plane in a hangar where it can stay dry, or have the chance to dry out if it gets wet, the doubles are a great idea. If it lives outside like mine does, I would not put them on.

Just my .02